2016 Volvo XC90 fuel tank door doesn't open

Asked by Jan 29, 2016 at 09:56 AM about the 2016 Volvo XC90

Have you had any reports of the gas tank door not
opening on the 2016 XC 90?  My doors were
unlocked, and I re-locked and unlocked again and it
still wouldn't open. Fortunately I had enough gas to
get to my dealer, where they got it open. They re-
locked and unlocked it from the remote, and not the
door. I don't know why that worked, but it did. It
may have been that the 20 minutes it took me to
get there, it had a chance to warm up from below
freezing. I only found one other account of this on
the Internet, but I have a feeling there are many
more out there.

Thanks!

90

Sharon, My gas tank door wouldn't open this morning when I was ready to fill up my new XC90.... I had to leave the gas station and come home and google how to fix this! I just happen to open up this site and see your post about the same thing! Thank you! I figured out by reading your post without having to travel a couple hours to a Volvo dealership to get this fixed with very little gas! I unlock my vehicle and lock it with the remote and it worked... I was so afraid that I would run out of gas!!! Scary!!! Thank you!! Tana

Tanah, I'm glad my post helped! I was so afraid I'd run out of gas too! --Sharon

The same thing has happened to me--running on empty I pulled into the gas station to find I couldn't open the gas tank door. I will try locking/unlocking with the remote and see if that does the trick. Fingers crossed! Thanks, Sharon

Thank you so much, Sharon. We had the same problem on the Turnpike in NJ. The manual was worthless but a Google search turned up your post. It worked!

There is a simple way...be little ethical an gently knock the door some one will surely open it ;)

10

You just saved me from panicking at the gas station.

Thank you! Totally wouldn't open for us... gentle knock or hard knock... wouldn't open. The remote totally saved us!

10

Same thing just happened to me. Remote and door don't fix it. Found the closest dealer and we are here now trying to get it fixed. 90miles from home, a near empty tank, and have 2 small children with me. Apparently need a new "selenoid" not fun

Great solution Sharon, thanks! Christmas eve, dealer closed. Almost out of fuel. Checked the internet and there was your answer. Next I'll have the dealer explain it to me!

Thank you so much for sharing, Sharon. I ran into the same problem today while almost being out of gas. Locking and unlocking the car with the remote solved it and saved me a nearly impossible (no gas) trip to the dealership!

10

I have had my Inscription for 6 months. Today was the first time the fuel door wouldn't open with a long line of people waiting for gas. So frustrating!! You would think that an $80k car wouldn't have problems like this.

Just hit the 'unlock' buttopn on the fob. I had this issue with my wive's 'First Edition' and with my 2017 S90. The 'unlock' button with solve it.

Just saved my day! At station on fumes - thanks!

20

i tried the unlock on key FOB, still won't release the gas door cover on 2017 XC90! Any other thoughts?

Same thing just happened to me!!! I'm having so many issues with this car!

I love this car but I just had the same problem with the gas door not opening. I tried the remote and it worked. Even my dealership didn't know what to do. Thx for the help.

I'm having the same issue, but the key trick isn't working. This is the second time this has happened with our 2016 model along with a host of other issues. It's ridiculous given what we paid for this car. I feel like I'm driving a lemon!

Sharon - thank you! Your post was very helpful!

I had the same with 2017. Ran home, found your post, went back to pump gas. You save my day. Thanks

5

Googled at a gas station on Merritt Parkway with only fumes in tank. Got to here. It worked. THANK YOU!!

Thank you. That is a trick I will not forget.

Thank you - this trick just saved us today in Ottawa with a car full of kids!!!!

Thanks for your post. Just happens to us XC90 2017, drove home read the post and bingo. Poor design for Swedish car considering the weather in Sweden,

Thank you!! Was stranded at a gas station trying to figure this out, googled and found your post!