ac don't work and radiator fan don't work

20

Asked by Jun 25, 2015 at 07:10 PM about the 1995 Ford Taurus

The AC quit working and the car began to overheat.  The radiator fan will not work, thus
the overheating.  I have replaced the Constant Control Relay Module that is on top of the
radiator but still same problems exist.  Any help?

58,225

If you have replaced the relay,may be bad tempreture sending unit,or the radiator fan motor is bad,if you hit the ac button and fan dont come on.

20

Thank you. There is also another relay that plugs into the fan. It is $90 and I don't know if I should try replacing it. Is there a simple way to test the fan?

20

The AC comes on and blows cold for a very short time then the compressor kicks off. From my research, it may be related to the radiator fan or one of these relays. There is a sending unit that is on top of the valve cover and one on the exhaust just below the manifold. Would one of these be the temperature sending unit?

16,790

If the compressor clicks on and off it is low on freon.

58,225

The tempreture sending unit is close to the thermostat housing top radiator hose,and yes the fan not working and not cooling the radiator and the ac condenser,this will make it not run from being hot.

20

Thank you T_S_T. You mean that if the temp sending unit is bad, the AC and radiator fan both may not work? Even though the AC works briefly(30 seconds or so) when the car is cold and first started?

20

Also, the temperature gauge seems to be displaying accurately. It shows cold when you start the car then moves up as the car heats up.

58,225

Yes,the sending unit will read right at temp guage,but my not be sending signal to fan relay,but i think you may need to check the fan motor,by running a direct hot wire to it,if it run,s then check the temp sending unit,if it dont run,change the fan motor.

20

Okay, so I replaced the temperature sending unit with no change to my problem. However, I have discovered that the plug going into the fan only has power for a few seconds after the car is started up and then, no power. The AC compressor is still kicking on and off intermittently as the car runs. I did test the fan and it is good. Any thoughts why the plug going to the fan only has power when the car is first started?

58,225

It is bad wire,or the relay doing it if you have fire to it when you first start it.

20

Thanks for the help. I think I may have had multiple problems but after replacing the radiator fan (which I had previously tested and thought it was okay) my problems are solved. Thanks again.