My 2002 Kia Rio has made a humming noise in 5th gear for the 2 years i have owned it. It has close to 90,000 miles on it. my mechanic tells me this means the transmission is going. is this true?

Asked by Mar 18, 2013 at 02:46 PM about the 2002 Kia Rio

What do you think? Hate to say this but korean cars are downright unAmerican!...there isn't the proven track record of a Mercedes here....isn't this pretty much what you expected buyin' a kia?

just use fourth...it'll last ya-

92,255

It is an eleven year old car and it could be the transmission. Live with the hum or replace the transmission or replace the car. You could have the transmission fluid and filter changed but it probably won't change a hum. The noise might be from a bearing on it's way out. You could have the transmission mechanic take it for a test drive.

26,025

Hey-O look out bob nueske and kbro agree on something!

I only paid 700.00 for it. The original owner was desperate to sell cuz she got a DUI. I plan on running it into the ground.....just wonder if i should 'invest' in a 500ish $ transmission?.... hoping to get a couplea more years out of it!

What's the tune it's humming? Gimme a few bars. Sorry Anita I couldn't resist that. All in fun, eh? But OK, it could be your transmission but get a second opinion before you lay out $1...$1,500 for a Kia with 90,000 miles. Now if it was a Toyota...

26,025

you better put a timing belt on it if you havent already if your gonna run it any longer. factory belt is recommended at 60k if it breaks you wont have a motor to make your trans hum.

I DO know that it is a fact that the front ball bearings are going! I know NOTHING about cars! Just have A LOT of experience buying cars for cheap, and they usually last me on average 3 years.....disposable cars! I count myself very blessed and fortunate. Never have to worry about a scratch or ding! There a little ugly, but people DO stay outta my way....HA! Thanks for the input guys!! :)

Ok they are $500.. used...I missed that one

92,255

$500 throw away car = no tranny repair. make sure it has fluid and turn up the radio. You will want to get those wheels bearings fixed. They start out making noise when making turns and then they will hum as they get worse. -- I had one that sounded like a helicopter. I wanted to get it home for a warranty replacement.

Do like grandmaster H25 suggests, and scrap price for a Toyota, they don't let you down! (a little bit unamerican, but they were buildin them at NUMI before tesla got his mitts on the plant)-

Ball bearings? automakers stopped using them in 1961! tapered roller bearings. maybe?

back in Wisconsin, 300 dollar cars were abundant as the 'salter truck' would play hell with all steel and could not be washed off resulting in a "sunfloor" and no floor beetles-

WOW! I have learned a lot! Thank you all! I think I will walk, and ride my bike more (springs come'n).....keep with the original plan, and run it till it dies! NO job (just got laid off) = NO moola = save up change for a Toyota!