just got rear brakes repaired and now back end vibration and 40--50--and 70 MPH

10

Asked by May 30, 2015 at 05:37 PM about the 2003 Kia Sorento

had rotors replaced and pads  at san leandro kia repair shop  and now I have it back it vibrating like crazy at 40-50 and 70 MPH,  it wasn't vibrating at all in rear end prior to repair of back brakes..  took back to kia and they said its the front struts  making backend vibrate,,   BUT IT WASNT VIBRATING BEFORE THEY FIXED THE BRAKES.. COULD ANYTHING REPAIR SHOP COULD HAVE DONE TO MAKE IT VIBRATE

19,190

It would only be the brakes if you apply your brakes and it shakes. Sounds to me you shaking is going on even just riding that is more of a balance problem or a slipped belt in tire. You might even went to make sure your rear lug nuts are nice and tight. To check for a slipped belt in tire run your hand across length of tire if you feel a bulge you have a slipped belt in that tire.

19,190

If I was you I would take vehicle some were else to get a second opinion to see if brakes are done right. Any time someone tells you the front struts is causing the rear end to vibrate I would not take my vehicle back to them.

10

I took car to American tire and had tires checked and rotation and rebalanced AND still getting rear vibration. while they had rear wheels off I looked and rotors kia replaced and it looked like driver side rotor was nice and flush against the axle but passenger side back rotor was not flush like other side was I am wondering if this could be making vibration

19,190

Did the guy at American tires give you his opinion about what he thought my be the problem since he he has had a better look at your brake job ? Not seeing it for myself I would only be guessing but yes they could have been installed incorrectly causing vibration. Looks like you are in a catch two situation you do not want to take back to where brakes were done but you do need someone to check it out to make sure they are done correctly . Can you take vehicle to another shop that does brakes and explain your situation to them and have them take another look at the brake job. Most places check brakes for free.

19,190

Let me ask you this question when you took your vehicle back to the shop that did your brakes and told them it was vibrating did they take your vehicle back in shop to recheck brake job or just took it for a test drive and concluded the front struts were causing the rear to vibrate ?

10

they told me yea they checked back brakes and they said they were fine. but heres the thing the truck wasn't vibrating not one bit before they touched the car. was just making noise from back brakes. not vibration at 50 and 70 mph the vibration noise is just crazy. I almost want to buy new back rotors and change them myself and see if still makes vibration. Im really regret letting kia service do my brakes. I wont be that lazy next time. well ill get back later when I figure this damn thing out. ill redo back breaks then front brakes then if still vibrating ill do struts front and if that doesn't fix it. then god help kia service.

19,190

Wish I was near by to help you out but that would be the best thing to do is to check it out yourself.

hi all well I figured out what my vibration was at all different speeds marina kia service garage stated it was my front struts were bad and I had to change struts. well I fixed the vibration my self for only 75 dollars, well all I did was change the farthest u joint and wow no more vibration at all. I couldn't believe kia service was trying to rip me off and say struts. ill never take it to a kia service again