Why is my Kia Rio not starting after I put a new alternator in?

20

Asked by Jul 12, 2014 at 08:35 PM about the 2003 Kia Rio

Had old alternator tested and it was bad, so I replaced it with a brand new alternator. Once the new alternator was in, turned the key in the ignition, and nothing happened. The car would not start. The battery is new, bought it in May of 2014. Checked fuses and wiring and they are fine. I am low on oil, does that have anything to do with the car not starting? I need this car fixed...

48,475

If your alternator was bad then it wasn't charging your battery. Put a charger on it and let it charge overnight. See if it fires up in the morning. If not post back and let us know.

105

I see Reeline's answer, and raise a better one: When an alternator goes bad, it can take out other components with it. Mainly, the starter, and the starter solenoid. Firstly, put oil in your car; it has nothing to do with this, but letting fluids get low will wreck your car, kill it. I see that you bought your battery in May this year. If you have a friend, and a set of jumper cables, there's a simple test: jump your car. If it starts, the battery is low. just let the engine run, drive it around, to charge it back up. If it doesn't start, but you can hear that electronic "click" when you turn the key, then the alternator took out your starter when it died. If it doesn't start, and there's no electronic "click" when you turn the key, then the alternator took out the starter solenoid when it died. Hope this helps!!

123,985

Also check battery connections. They must be tight and clean. Trickle charge battery overnight and it should fire up for you in the morning.

20

On Wednesday of this week, I took my battery into Sears to have it checked, and they said my battery was fully charged and working right, and my starter is a few years old, and if it was just my starter, why won't the car light up?

48,475

If you want to do a quick test, try this: If car is not starting, jack up the front end. Locate starter underneath. Have someone turn the key to the "ON" position like they're trying to start it. As they are holding the key to the ON position, rap on the starter with a hammer. If the car suddenly turns over, this means that your starter is bad and needs to be replaced.