No Gear will work. whats wrong with it?

175

Asked by Jun 02, 2013 at 07:39 PM about the 1995 Ford Probe

car will turn on with no problem, when i put it in all gears it will not move. it has trani fulild
and motor oil in it. what could it be?

the linkage has fallen off because the motor mounts may have split and changed the geometry...pullin' the linkage apart~

Best Answer

...a theory at any rate...will start searchin' for cartoons~

175

is that expensive to get fixed

175

what is the linkage. i left my car where is stoped working. what is it called when i call mechanics to get it fixed.

hey, the shift cable has a problematic "pin"~http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index.php? main_page=product_info&products_id=450

http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index.php? main_page=product_info&products_id=450

It's just the shift cable has come off.....whew!

175

is it costly to have it put back on or will i need a new shift cable?

you'd have to shimmy under the car and look for the cable that connects between the mechanism and the lever---may also run up to the throttle for kick-down and throttle position~....so the connection what selects the gears and also tells the control which gear you're in has gone off...have your grease monkey replace this one...hate to see a person all on their back like that~

should have your automotive specialist jam a mechanics prybar into the transmission mount to find spitting...as the cause for your headache in the first place...again, just a theory~

175

lmfao.. ill most deff have my grease monkey fix it

175

i needed a motor mount.

maybe you just need the little pin with the jesus-clip on there~

no...sakes no, lets just hope it's the little dinghy~ does the car slam on acceleration?....probably no on the motor mounts~ possibly a split transmission mount, which would give a "not tight" sensation on acceleration~

175

no it dont slam on acceleration. its drive okay besides the nosie it make sometimes cause its an old car.

175

thank you!

the pins of satan...held in place by jesus clips (the reason they are called this is the first thing uttered when they spring away into the carpeting)~

now you're gettin' to be an expert!

you could put a picture of your pet bunny or iguana there as your avatar now~...or your 95 probe~

175

oh.. lol.. im gonna out one up

I drive a 93 Toyota Pickup and am alarmed at the rapid decay of all things plastic...probably because this environment (Clearlake, CA) goes hot during the day and cold (not freezing) at night...daily thermal cycling makes the rapid decay of these plastic-ey things.....nothing to do except craft them out of wood~

175

im sure your 93 pickup is way better then my 95 ford probe. lol

You should add your 95 probe to your garage...take a picture of it, then give a review for 10 points...congratulations you are now a carguru~

HEY!---there's an embedded video what shows what to do!...crazy good~ http://www.atfspeed.com/atf-video-gallery.html? task=videodirectlink&id=22

not quite sure why grindin' the pin off, then repacing it with another pin? fixes the problem??

there must be binding problems causing breakage....the looseygoosey offers more free play...I guess that's good~

25,835

Is this the Probe GT (V6) or the 4 cylinder model, which I think was the SE model?? Almost bought a '94 Ford Probe GT, ended up with a '93 Toyota MR2 instead. No regrets at all :) Although the Probe GT was a sharp looking car!

and this curious design hillbilly grindin' the pin and replacing with another pin with jesus clip? I feel like Stan and the Boys are ticklin' the innards~

25,835

SMH @ whatever it is you just said @ Judge...LOL! Some of your posts are crazy, dude!

there is nothing crazy about the ole' mountain dew-

It'll tickle your innards~

the pin must be longer...or something...still no one has a definitive "hilbilly" answer~

could you please explain it to me Racer_X, this business of the rigid pin causing breakage, and yet the pin (maybe 'little longer) with circlip fixes this?

25,835

Ford Probe Shifter Cable Repair Pin $15.95 This kit is used to repair the end of the shifter cable where it attaches to the Ford Probe CD4E automatic transmission. I'm afraid that I don't have the expertise to really explain this....It SEEMS to be something that's prone to wear and tear after several thousand miles. Regular daily shifting from P-R-N-D-1-2 (etc.) may just cause this pin to wear out over time?? This is really just a guess....tenspeed or DavidH25 would know much more about than me.

doesn't it seem wrong that a grinder to grind the old pin is needed here?...that's why my crack about "hillbilly repair"---isn't something that most people who live in an apartment can do~ have you seen the video? ^^^^look up there^^ we don't need those guys, all the information is on the WWW~

Mister Two is doin' way better than any Proboscus would have...no regrets Toyotas are the best~

25,835

I totally regret selling the MR2 some years back....as much as I love the Mazda MX-5 that I have now, the Toyota was a gorgeous and reliable car that looked like a mini-Ferrari. Plus it was a mid engined car that handled like a dream. With the exception of the Scion FR-S, Toyota has nothing else I'd ever even consider buying now. Did we lose the OP??

Diane- answered 2-9-14 My 95 probe se did the same thing I couldn't get the gear shift to move. My sisters friend is a mechanic came over to look at it. He popped off that round circle thing on the console and re-set it and cleaned out all around my console. It's fine now and never happened again.