Electrical Problem?

10

Asked by Oct 28, 2014 at 05:40 PM about the 2004 Kia Rio

When I push the brake pedal, the rear window defrost light on the dash comes on. It goes off when I remove my foot from the brake pedal. This started just last week. It happens when the car is idling, running and off. Can this be a simple fix in the fuse box or does it require an electrical whiz with umpteen gadgets to diagnose the problem? Thank you in advance for your help.

10

As I didn't find an edit option, I will modify my question here. It is a 2003, NOT a 2004 Kia Rio RX-V.

I wish I had an answer for your question, simply don't know. Sounds very odd thing to happen. But for future reference, copy your question, delete it, paste it back up and before submitting, edit.

11,360

look under the dash to see if the brake pedal is rubbing on something its not supposed to. u may need the umpteen gadget guy on this one

10

Thanks mikeatpriestlake. I will do that. I paid particular attention today while driving and found that when I braked, it sounded like the motor was under load. Just like when I turn on the headlights so I suspect the defroster is coming on, not just the indicator light. All the wires for the brake lights, wiper, defroster go through a tube that is visible when the rear hatch is open. Am wondering if there may be a worn insulation/naked wire possibly connecting wires together that shouldn't be connecting?

This is a 2004 Kia Rio. N-D if yours looks like this, there must be wires going in to the hatch door for defroster and wiper. license plate light I see the taillights.brake lights are not on the hatch, but 10 years and hundreds, maybe thousands of open/close may have frayed where they enter door, suggest check that. This will go full screen

10

Looks identical FordNut. If you look closely, you can see there is indeed a brake light in the bottom of the rear window. See my previous post and thanks for the suggestion.