have a 1987 chevy van, a/c blows but not hard, had 134a conversion before I bought it. I had freon recharged but it just doesn't put out enough air, could it be the accumulator and if so how do i find

Asked by Aug 06, 2014 at 06:03 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Chevy Van

a/c was converted prior to my purchase, it has front and rear blowers but doesn't blow hard at all. I had it completely recharged (4lbs.freon) and it got cooler but not more air flow. Someone said it could be the accumulatot, I don't know????? The compressor strains the motor as well, any suggestions? Thanks

67,325

Remove the blower motor and inspect the squirrel cage (fan). It should be a large plastic one that barely fits through the hole. If it's a small one it's been replaced, with the wrong one. That or a failing blower motor will cause poor airflow. Check the air inlet at the bottom of the windshield, on the outside, as well. Make sure it's not clogged up with leaves, dirt, or other junk. This too can cause poor air flow. HTH. -Jim