1982 ChevyVanG30 Jam.23' RV NEEDS Diferental service,under hood tag says H.D.REAR END Differinchal is that limited slip? Mech shop says $200 if limited slip fluid & gasket. Is H.D. Diff. limitedslp?

Asked by Dec 24, 2014 at 06:46 PM about the 1982 Chevrolet Chevy Van

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

Its a Jamboree 350/4bbl,At.Ps.PDB.

2 Answers


One way to be absolutely sure is to jack up the rear end until both rear wheels are off the ground. Grab one wheel and turn it forward or backward. If the wheel on the other side is going in the same direction, it's limited slip. If the wheel is going in the opposite direction each time, it's not. Not hard to change oil in the rear end, not really messy either. You'll need at least a gallon of gear oil (weight and type dependent on owner's manual and limited slip), gasket and gasket sealer. Sometimes the old gear oil smells really bad, but DIY it's easily half the price quoted

2 people found this helpful.

You can also look for a tag that specifys "posi- traction". Chevy called it posi-traction, Pontiac called it Safe-T-Trac, and Cadillac called it Controlled Differential. All different names for the same thing. A limited slip differential. HTH. -Jim

1 people found this helpful.

Your Answer

Chevrolet Chevy Van Experts

  • #1
    John Saffrahn
  • #2
  • #3
    Taylor Januskiewiecz
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used GMC Vandura
6 listings
Used Dodge Ram Van
89 listings
Used Ford E-150
103 listings

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.