Have a Carbutator Question 1980 Chevy Van 30 - Motorhome

40

Asked by Aug 02, 2015 at 02:58 PM about the 1980 Chevrolet Chevy Van

Hi, I Have a 1980 Motorhome. IS a Chevy Van 30 with at V8 6.6L440ci engine. No one would remove my Carburetor as this is an old RV and no one wanted to work on it. The did however gladly tell me how easy it was and gave me the contact information for a rebuilder. I removed the carb and in  the process a metal hose that runs from the carb to a plate on the engine snapped off of the plate on the engine.  I have attached a photo.  The plate is hard to remove the bolt are rusted, snapped and hard to drill out to re-tap. In the photo you will see the plate with the messed up bolts alone with a hole where the metal hose was attached and some cylindrical protuberance that may be capped?  No Idea what this is.  Hoping someone can help.   This came with a 4 barrel carb from factory but it looks like someone may have put in a 2 barrel carb as lots of stuff is capped off.  Sorry for my ignorance but I cant really tell if what I have is a 2 barrel or 4 barrel.  Have photos of everything if it help.  Not sure how to attach to this post.

150,445

More pictures would help. Just post them in an answer window like this. No promises, just can't tell much from that one. Click on the 'Add Photo' in blue ..but it won't allow an image without text. Even a single letter will do

40

Great Thanks!

40

Additional Photo

40

Additional Photo

40

Additional Photo

40

Additional Photo

150,445

Well, ya got me stumped. But the pictures are great. Surely one of the guys will know... sorry but I can't even guess. I have a 4 bbl on my old Ford but looks nothing like that.

40

Thanks for looking Mark and for the Idea of posting additional photos. The bolts are so hard to drill out. Like they are made of kryptonite! Seems odd to ridged flush mount the metal tube to the plate but I know less than very little about engine mechanics. There is a flex hose on the end that attaches to the Carb.

150,445

I'm David, but that's OK. Happens all the time...Mark Helpful is what you click if the answer was helpful. Which I certainly don't deserve. But it appears to be some sort of vacuum line. For timing advance??? Wild guess

The plate with the tube is for the choke,it gets heat from the exhaust in side under the plate.(its no big deal) run fine without. And you have a quadrajet carburetor that is a four barrel . the line that attaches to the carb in the photo is not a big deal either, cap it off.