i've got a 1991 cherokee 4.0, ever since i,ve owned it it always runs hot in the summer (anything over 80).

Asked by Jul 08, 2012 at 07:22 PM about the 1991 Jeep Cherokee

my jeep has a rebuilt 4.0 bored .30 over,when i put on a rebuilt head i upgraded to a 3-core radiator, turbo city thermostat housing & 160 thermostat, new oem fan clutch, & be cool style hi flow water pump, also put the electric fan on a thermostat. the engine also has a stainless header and a 2year old magna flow converter. i've had the same problem since i got the thing 8years ago it runs smooth and has plenty of power but it won't stay cool even when its 50 out it runs at 210 when its 90 it clears 230-240 and thats as high as i like to see it and shut things down. in town it heats up faster but will gain temperature going down the road, it does have 31" tires but rarely goes off road no winch or bars in front of grill, it's more of a snow buggy. i'm starting to suspect the transmission? the fluid looks fine and doesn't have a burnt smell. it does have a small external trans cooler before the radiator. anybody got a suggestion, ditch the fan clutch and put in another electric? big transmission cooler? sell it in october and buy a chevy?

1,110

Did you replace the radiator hoses when radiator work was done? See if you can pinch the bottom radiator hose shut. If you can, it's bad. I would change over to electric fans. They don't require any HP. to run. Also have you changed the water pump? Impellers could be worn!

10

I have a '93 Grd Cher 4.0 and it used to run hot frequently. I put a Flow Cooler water pump on it and a Flexilite Black Magic electric fan. I have never had a overheating since. (FYI some 4.0 Grd Cher came out of the factory with the wrong fan blade on them. I was at my mechanics shop and he was telling me about this other customers Grd overheating. He had tried everything. I had a look and noticed it had a smaller fan blade. Thinking my trailer towing package had a better fan, suggested trying a fan like mine had before I changed it. The Jeep dealer said the Grds all used the same fan. We found out the factory had installed a fan for a Cherokee which also used an auxiliary electric to supplement cooling. I heard the correct fan made a big difference.)