Hard Starting '91 Cherokee

10

Asked by Oct 27, 2010 at 01:06 PM about the 1991 Jeep Cherokee

My '91 Cherokee will not start when hot. I have replaced the fuel pump in the tank,
the in-line filtet, distributor car, rotor, ignition wires and plugs. It will start, but
slowly if sits for a half hour.
It is slow to start when cold, about ten seconds of cranking. If I crank for a few
seconds, shut the key off, wait ten seconds it will start almost immediately. Statter
and battery are both good.
Any help would be appreciated
Nealb4me2@gmail.com

475

sounds like your carburetor needs to be adjusted

10

It has Fuel Injection.

10

It is Fuel Injected.

395

Have you replaced the crank position sensor ? If that is not working correctly, engine won't start because it can't tell if the flywheel is turning..

10

Hey Don, Thanks for the info.. and no, I have not replaced the sensor. Will do so and let you know the results.Thanks for the tip. Neal

395

I have owned 7 Jeeps... I still own 3.. Crank sensor is 95% of the starting problems and dying problems... It's not easy to do without a lift, but can be done without one... You may need to tip the engine back so you can get at the CPS bolts easier..

10

Hey Don, I replaced the sensor and it cured the problem. A real bitch to get in and out with my fat hands but learned a few tricks one being a very long extension on the socket to get the bolts out from under the vehicle. Getting them back in was study in frustration also. I think if I had to do it again, I would cut a hole in the firewall.lol Thanks for the help, it solved the problem.. Neal

395

You're welcome... I should have told you long extension and then some and possibly a wobble socket... I hope you named your Jeep... My 1988 Wagoneer Limited is Eugene, My 1996 Cherokee because of it's color, (Citron Green now called Rescue green) is called Booger and my 2000 Blue Grand Cherokee is just Blue..

10

I don't think we better put in here the names I was calling that Jeep, or the folks who "engineered" it..... Thanks again for the help. Neal