Why does 0D?out flas even though it does shift to OD?

kenworth
0

Asked by Mar 07, 2007 at 09:50 PM about the 1995 Ford Explorer

The OD/Out light is always flashing, but it does shift to OD. The light goes out if you disconnect the battery, but withi 5-10 minutes, it starts all over again.

LouB
19,640

Hi Kenworth. The OD light is trying to tell you something and it could be innocuous or not. Your Ford dealer will be able to read the diagnostic code and you should get it to them quickly to prevent any further damage especially if you transmission fluid level isn't what it should be. Good luck!

Explorertheworld_07
195

Advanced Auto Parts ,if you have one near you can run a diagnostics for free. In return buy your parts from them,they have warranties and a refund policy!Most will even have loaner tools so you can change the parts right there in the parking lot!

your od drive switch is probley going bad if trans shifts right in all gears no problems,just replace switch,not a hard job 10 minutes at most.most are on side of trans.

OJ
13,500

The exact same thing happened to my '96 explorer. Called my tranny guy and he stated the next time it happened to drive directly to his shop and do not turn off the car. Did so. He checked the code, sent his driver to the parts place, and thirty minutes and fifty bucks later I was on the road again. Some electrical component on the outside of the tranny needed replacing.

tkconover
0

I just went thru the same thing and finally after finding a good electrical auto guy discovered that the circuit board located behind the speedometer in the instrument cluster had a bad capacitor or similar component that leaked acid onto the board and damaged it. Got a used cluster for $125 installed it and cured the blinking light/ABD light/and fixed the non functioning speedometer. Seems the elec. feed to the sensors for speed and other items had to go thru this circuit board first then to the sensors and to the EEC so the board was the issue. Total cost with labor $232. This was on a 95' Ford E-150 Club Wagon van.