I have a 1994 jeep cherokee sport I have had a new thermostat put on keep it filled with anit-free and yet everytime I run the air it runs hot...I dont know why

20

Asked by Jun 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM about the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1,655

First question, what are you considering "running hot" ? The Cherokee normally runs around 210 degrees so, if that is what you are getting, that is normal. If it is running hotter than that, is the AC blowing cold ? Do you hear the electric engine fan ( condenser fan for the AC ) turning on when you run the AC ? If the AC starts to blow cold and then seems to get warmer after running for a few minutes or, if you do not hear the condenser fan turning on, it may be the AC fan switch or the fan itself has failed. If you have a 12 volt test light, disconnect the fan connector and turn the AC on MAX ( with the engine running ), insert the tip of the test light into the fan connector and watch it for a few minutes, when the switch "calls" for the fan to turn on, the test light will light if there is power -- If there is no power, the AC condenser fan switch has failed, if there IS power and the fan does not run, the fan has failed.

20

thank for your answer however thats not the problem the fan is working just fine and the air stays cold ...but the temperature gage will go all the way to the red after about 30 minutes if the ac is still running but it only seems to do that in the heat or the sun at night seems to run fine....so I am thinking maybe its the radiator but was looking for other solutions before spending that kind of money....any advise

6,845

does the coolant FLOW through the rad? Way to tell is to remove the elect. cooling fan, and allow eng. to come to operating temp. shut off eng. and feel the surface of the radiator, If it cool at bottom but hot at the top. its clogged. It sounds like you have partial flow from the discreption you gave. Hope this helps......