Jeep starts but shuts off.

codadof4
0

Asked by Aug 11, 2008 at 09:34 PM about the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I replaced the batt in my 94 GC and now it won't stay running and the security light flashes how can I fix it?

unhook the neg side of battery for about 5 minutes so the computer can reset itself,if this dont do it ,look in fusebox and pull the ECM fuse for same amount of time,replace.this should fix your problem.

John Sexton
135

Computer must relearn. Have you scanned the computer for trouble codes?

Bill Baker
45

I know on some Chryslers you just had to lock and unlock the door with the key to disable the security system. You should give that a try.

Dessie Orr
105

take ur ignition key to the passenger door turn to lock then unlock and that will reset ur computer

Christopher Bush
30

change the alternater

Thomas Marcum
375

take your key and turn the drivers side door lock to the right , then left and then right again ...this will reset the security system.

scothendickson
110

2002 Grand Cherokee. Here's what happened to me: At every start, the engine would run for ~3 seconds, then die. Here's the solution: Use only a Jeep key made by Jeep. Analysis: I was using spare key (made at local auto parts store). It appears the official jeep key enables the security system when you insert it into the 'key hole'. Notes: If you see an intermittent problem like this, consider getting OEM (original equip. mfg., i.s, jeep) key.

scothendickson
110

BTW, intermitent problem indicates key is wearing out.

R0620
60

What worked for my 1994 Jeep GC was the key ticket(unlock, lock and unlock) in the rear door (tail gate) and then open the door.

SecondHandJeepster
30

R0620 worked for me. 1994 Jeep GC. Close all doors. Insert FACTORY key in the rear liftgate lock. Turn right (alarm sounds); turn left; turn right. Open driver's door and start engine. Voila!

Hd64900
280

I have done these things had it at dealer and got new key and it is still shutting off after 3 seconds

Hd64900
280

can the security system be shut down

R0620
60

The driver's door is the primary lock. For my Jeep the rear tailgate was the primary lock port. The security had been changed. Try each doors(unlock, lock and unlock) after reconnecting the battery. The security may believe it is a break-in.

Drvmsdsy
20

Thank you guys for this; my primary lock was the passenger door.

Sue Randolph-Whiteman
370

97 jeep it starts but it shuts off after 3 seconds any answers place

Kristy Moore
40

Help my 2001 is doing the same thing after my radio was changed

Kaos14102
0

For all that installed a radio with the antitheft system , today i installed a new head unit on my 2002 gc same thing happend to me first the cluster was dead with all the warning lights on then i thought it might have been the pcm so i tried resetting it by unhooking the negative hooked back the negative cable turned the jeep on it started then it shut of 3 seconds later so finally i said screw it and removed the radio turned the jeep back on and magically everthing worked again . Hope this helps folks ---- mike from riverside ca

GeorgeL76
50

My wifes 04 cherokee does this. I replaced the radio 2 days after I bought the car. The thing is, if I turn the key to the on position and wait 5 seconds for the lights in the dash to go off the car starts fine. A valet couldnt get the car to go because he was going too fast. I guess my only fix is to put the original radio back in it. Nah, we will take my ram if we go somewhere that we have to use valet. If any of you dont want to put the original radio back in it, just turn the key to the on position and wait for the guages to go up and the dash lights turn off, it will start and run every time.