Jeep starts but shuts off.

Asked by Aug 11, 2008 at 09:34 PM about the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I replaced the batt in my 94 GC and now it won't stay running and the security light flashes how can I fix it?

unhook the neg side of battery for about 5 minutes so the computer can reset itself,if this dont do it ,look in fusebox and pull the ECM fuse for same amount of time,replace.this should fix your problem.

135

Computer must relearn. Have you scanned the computer for trouble codes?

55

I know on some Chryslers you just had to lock and unlock the door with the key to disable the security system. You should give that a try.

115

take ur ignition key to the passenger door turn to lock then unlock and that will reset ur computer

30

change the alternater

395

take your key and turn the drivers side door lock to the right , then left and then right again ...this will reset the security system.

170

2002 Grand Cherokee. Here's what happened to me: At every start, the engine would run for ~3 seconds, then die. Here's the solution: Use only a Jeep key made by Jeep. Analysis: I was using spare key (made at local auto parts store). It appears the official jeep key enables the security system when you insert it into the 'key hole'. Notes: If you see an intermittent problem like this, consider getting OEM (original equip. mfg., i.s, jeep) key.

170

BTW, intermitent problem indicates key is wearing out.

70

What worked for my 1994 Jeep GC was the key ticket(unlock, lock and unlock) in the rear door (tail gate) and then open the door.

40

R0620 worked for me. 1994 Jeep GC. Close all doors. Insert FACTORY key in the rear liftgate lock. Turn right (alarm sounds); turn left; turn right. Open driver's door and start engine. Voila!

420

I have done these things had it at dealer and got new key and it is still shutting off after 3 seconds

420

can the security system be shut down

70

The driver's door is the primary lock. For my Jeep the rear tailgate was the primary lock port. The security had been changed. Try each doors(unlock, lock and unlock) after reconnecting the battery. The security may believe it is a break-in.

20

Thank you guys for this; my primary lock was the passenger door.

460

97 jeep it starts but it shuts off after 3 seconds any answers place

40

Help my 2001 is doing the same thing after my radio was changed

10

For all that installed a radio with the antitheft system , today i installed a new head unit on my 2002 gc same thing happend to me first the cluster was dead with all the warning lights on then i thought it might have been the pcm so i tried resetting it by unhooking the negative hooked back the negative cable turned the jeep on it started then it shut of 3 seconds later so finally i said screw it and removed the radio turned the jeep back on and magically everthing worked again . Hope this helps folks ---- mike from riverside ca

70

My wifes 04 cherokee does this. I replaced the radio 2 days after I bought the car. The thing is, if I turn the key to the on position and wait 5 seconds for the lights in the dash to go off the car starts fine. A valet couldnt get the car to go because he was going too fast. I guess my only fix is to put the original radio back in it. Nah, we will take my ram if we go somewhere that we have to use valet. If any of you dont want to put the original radio back in it, just turn the key to the on position and wait for the guages to go up and the dash lights turn off, it will start and run every time.

Mine was staring ok .Then after few seconds it would stop.It then took a long crank to get it running,when it's started it was rough idle.I changed the t piece on filter as I could see air drawn into the low presure pump.Aur was still there so I put clear pipe in supply line no air was being drawn into filter.I bypassed t piece but air was still there. Still had start issue of stopping after few seconds.Bought a genuin filter .problem cured .I was the cheep filter I bought on E bay.Now starts ok and idles smoothly.

To add to my first reply.Start issue was only after jeep had not been running for over 6 hours. I guess fuel was running back down the fuel line as air was very slowly being drawn in through the filter