85 C10 Dash/tail light inop.

Asked by Aug 05, 2016 at 09:37 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet C10

replaced the circuit board, headlamp switch, check drivers side tail light
ground and still have no power to "instrument panel" 5 amp fuse. Do these
issues tend to be on the back of the fuse panel at the connection? Need Help

found on a forum a guy with the same problem as I. NO power at the "instrument panel" fuse. All others have power. Turn signals and high beam work so I know the instrument cluster is grounded. Someone kept pointing at the headlamp switch and so I replaced it against my better judgment. If there is no power at the fuse block, how is the green wire to the hdlmp switch going to matter? This pickup has had a right fender replacement and wondering about a faulty ground somewhere. Would the green wire happen to have a fusible link in the engine compartment? I understand the tail lamps are on the same circuit as the instrument lights so I cleaned the ground. This has got to be a ground issue somewhere in the engine compartment. More than frustrated

I had the exact problem with the same truck and it turned out to be the tag light wire was broken and grounding out

Thank you. I replaced that with new also. Any other ideas?

One thing that I have done, it's not the greatest idea in the world, but when all else fails, do something crazy. I'll probably get fussed at for even suggesting this, but I have done it myself before, so here it goes....Get a 25 amp fuse link and hook one end to battery. Take the other end and shove it in with the 5 amp fuse. If the lights start working and there's no wires getting hot, you'll have a much better idea on where the problem is. Keep your eyes peeled for hot or smoking wires. The fuse link will blow before you do any serious damage and you will know exactly where your problem is. Yes, I realize this sounds counter-productive but the lights don't work anyway, right. Yeah, maybe you blow a bulb, or melt a small piece of wire, but your problem should become clear before you damage anything. Now, all you mechanics start fussing at me. I only suggest this because I have used this method several times. I am a redneck born and raised. We do what we have to. Sorry for not being any more help.

Best Answer

I appreciate that. And it makes sense if you don't have a bunch of fancy company paid for equipment to diagnose. I am at my watts end so it's time to take it somewhere. If I keep working on this night after night the only thing sparking will be the entire truck because I set it on fire after dumping gas all over it. Thank you again for your honesty. That's been the most logical thing I have heard on here.

Thank you for that and please keep me posted on your progress. I'd like to know what you find. Good luck and have a good day friend.