Check Gauges Light--Steering Wheel locks up

Asked by Dec 09, 2008 at 09:53 PM about the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hey all, I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8, and sometimes when I am driving the Check Gauges light will come on, causing the steering wheel to lock up however, the engine is still running fine and all of the electrical works normally. So, to unlock the steering wheel I have to turn off the car and turn it back on again. The car then proceeds to run normally until this problem happens again. I have taken my Jeep to Firestone several times and they have not been able to pinpoint the cause. Any suggestions?

165

The steering wheel can't lock up unless the ignition is shut all the way off, i think what you're experiencing is the lack of power steering, there is a power steering pressure sensor on some of the g.c's that would turn on the check gauges light, you also may be having trouble with the ignition swith itself, sometimes they just wear out and start to lose contact. good luck.

40

Thats not true, the same thing is happening to my Jeep 96 V8, so frustrating when someone says "that can't happen" because obviously it CAN. DId you find the source of this problem?

2,845

I've been in the industry for ten years and I've never heard of that happening to anyone ever in any car...that's crazy if it is true... Because every steering lock I have ever seen or heard of or worked on was a mechanical lock that only engaged when the transmission lever was in Park, the key was rotated all the way to the off position and/or removed, and the steering wheel to be turned around 1/3 turn to the left off of center. And it's mechanical so it's not possible for all of those things to be true without doing them yourself intentional, which while driving would probably shear the parking pawl off inside the transmission and the ignition lock forward backwards and the wheel cut. That's why we're saying it's not possible...but I mean, if Dodge/Chrysler did somehow reengineer a common and 100% consistent device for just a few years of vehicles,my brain would explode!

20

my car does the same except on top of the steering wheel locking, the gas and break pedal stops working too

Has anyone posted a solution to this problem? My son's 1996 started doing this. At low speed when turning the steering cuts out and you cannot accelerate. Engine stays running check gages.

The more I research the more frustrated I become. It's gone a couple days without doing it again. I hope it's just a cold whether issue.