air only comes out of my defrost

25

Asked by Aug 13, 2007 at 05:34 AM about the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

When I turn on my AC or Heater air will only come out of my defrost. It don't matter when I turn my air control (foor, front, defrost) the air still only comes out of my defrost at the winshield

42,925

It sounds as though the recirculation door inside your dash has broken or disconnected and is no longer allowing movement of air to the proper ducts when selecting. I suggest taking this to a dealer simply because there is a great deal of disassembly to get to this point, as well as dealer-only part involved.

515

get used to it. It seems to happen a ton on jeeps. Don't take to a dealer...they'll rip you a new one on labor for something like this

110

Check the vacuum lines to the door controls. These lines are routed directly to the engine manifold and the door fails to the defrost position on loss of vacuum. Maybe a line has come loose or a leak has developed in the line.

20

there is a motor that controls the door its located on the driver side just above the floor vent this piece is 45 dollars at auto zone I suggest u take the silver rod off and move the white control up if that don't work then u may professional help

35

Anybody who happens to float to this post one thing i did was check the vacuum line attached to manifold if that is fine then one more thing to check would be to follow the vacuum line and check for any holes or rips if nothing continue on and take out the headlight on the passenger side and behind where it sits should be the vacuum reservoir that is where i found my broken vacuum line one mechanic suggested to me that it could be the blend doors IT IS NOT THE BLEND DOORS FOR THIS SPECIFIC PROBLEM. Do not go wasting money getting the blend doors fixed if it could just be a vacuum line

20

Agreed kingsnapple, check the vacuum lines first. Start by checking under the hood on the firewall, next to the heatercore/blower motor area. You'll find a hose with a "T" on it. First, follow the one line that goes towards the battery. Check for holes rips and tears. Next, check the other line on the "T" fitting, It will run up and over the engine to the drivers side near the Intake manifold. Chances are the vacuum line just popped off. Check that before taking to the "Stealership"