air only comes out of my defrost

25

Asked by Aug 13, 2007 at 05:34 AM about the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

When I turn on my AC or Heater air will only come out of my defrost. It don't matter when I turn my air control (foor, front, defrost) the air still only comes out of my defrost at the winshield

49,105

It sounds as though the recirculation door inside your dash has broken or disconnected and is no longer allowing movement of air to the proper ducts when selecting. I suggest taking this to a dealer simply because there is a great deal of disassembly to get to this point, as well as dealer-only part involved.

615

get used to it. It seems to happen a ton on jeeps. Don't take to a dealer...they'll rip you a new one on labor for something like this

160

Check the vacuum lines to the door controls. These lines are routed directly to the engine manifold and the door fails to the defrost position on loss of vacuum. Maybe a line has come loose or a leak has developed in the line.

30

there is a motor that controls the door its located on the driver side just above the floor vent this piece is 45 dollars at auto zone I suggest u take the silver rod off and move the white control up if that don't work then u may professional help

75

Anybody who happens to float to this post one thing i did was check the vacuum line attached to manifold if that is fine then one more thing to check would be to follow the vacuum line and check for any holes or rips if nothing continue on and take out the headlight on the passenger side and behind where it sits should be the vacuum reservoir that is where i found my broken vacuum line one mechanic suggested to me that it could be the blend doors IT IS NOT THE BLEND DOORS FOR THIS SPECIFIC PROBLEM. Do not go wasting money getting the blend doors fixed if it could just be a vacuum line

60

Agreed kingsnapple, check the vacuum lines first. Start by checking under the hood on the firewall, next to the heatercore/blower motor area. You'll find a hose with a "T" on it. First, follow the one line that goes towards the battery. Check for holes rips and tears. Next, check the other line on the "T" fitting, It will run up and over the engine to the drivers side near the Intake manifold. Chances are the vacuum line just popped off. Check that before taking to the "Stealership"

40

I discovered wiggling the tiny vacuum line that goes in through firewall above the heater core pipe caused the heat to go from defrost to floor (dial control turned to floor heat). I'll double check vacuum lines for leaks before I dismantle dash.

40

I've dismantled my entire before to fix a speaker wire that was pinched. It took an hour or more to dismantle yet I found it easy.

40

Today I located black vacuum line from heater control dial to where it exited firewall by pulling it back and forth. In the photo I included, I broke the thin plastic vacuum line at point A by accident. The thin plastic line broke off inside rubber line B. I then disconnected the line from the main rigid plastic line and found I could not blow through it. Where the small line broke off in rubber line B I trimmed it off and then could easily blow through it. I slid the thicker rubber line B over the thin plastic line coming out of firewall. I then turned heater control dial to floor and heat transferred from the defrost vents to floor vents. Problem fixed.

Same problem on my 2000 Cherokee classic. Took it to the dealership, was told to expensive to fix :). Didn't believe the vacuum line story above. But did go out and checked it. Found the problem! The vacuum line was broke at the battery! Thanks guys.

40

Good to hear SamuelJ

Lumbeegal87 is the only person I have found ON THE INTERNET to mention this part. Which is the ONLY thing that has made my HVAC change the locations it is blowing out of. Thanks for not repeating the same thing everyone else is saying.

10

had the same issue.after reading your post I checked my vacum lines and found a cracked one at the t connector by the cruise control.fixed that and it works better but still not 100 percent.I'm thinking we are on the right path.Thank you for all you help.

I don't know much at all about cars but while my husband was under his jeep grand Cherokee with the hood up I was on the drivers side looking at I guess the motor, I saw a small pipe just hanging there and I also saw a place it looked like the pipe was suppose to go in so I put it in and it fixed the problem....

Thanks caribou 4x4. You were right about the little plastic hose. The picture helped alot. I couldn’t have found it without it. Fixed the problem in less than 5 minuets