96 Jeep Cherokee hard to start

Asked by Jun 05, 2017 at 06:33 PM about the 1996 Jeep Cherokee

My Jeep Cherokee has recently become difficult to start when cold. It runs great
once started, no misfires or hesitation. Based on info from other sources, I have
tested my fuel pressure. This was 50 psi with only a 5 psi drop after 30 minutes. So
pump, regulator, and injectors seem leak free and functional. Distributor, plugs, and
wires are less than a year old. 285,00 miles. Where should I go next?

I should add that if I run it for a while, then shut it off, it will restart immediately. If I wait just 15 minutes, it gets harder.

It could be a vacuum line issue. You can "Double Prime" the engine when this happens and it will fix it. What you do is Basically turn the key on, then off, then on again and it will double prime the fuel pump. You may benefit from a block heater.

Repeated priming has been a mixed bag. If it's been sitting, I generally have to try repeatedly. Also, the pump does not automatically shut off after a couple seconds as is typical. This happens until I have tried to crank it a few times, then it will perform the usual prime for two seconds and stop after turning the key to the on position. Sometimes it starts at this point, but other times it won't. On this model, there is no vacuum line to the regulator. It is a single line with no return, regulator is in the tank as a part of the fuel pump assembly. Is that the vacuum line you were referring to?

I have a similar problem in my 1996 4.0L Jeep Grand. I have noticed it has been a little longer to start lately and on two occasions about a week ago I made a turn (I think left) and the engine acted like it was going to quit. One of them I had low level of fuel and I thought the fuel sloshed away from the pickup. Last Tuesday driving home at 70mph the engine quit out of the blue. It did not sputter, it seemed to shut down. I pulled over and the engine died. I waited approx. 20 minutes and got out my fuel pressure guage and put it on. I then turned the key on and the pressure only came up approx. 10lbs or so. I knew this was low. I turned the key off then on again and it did the same thing, low pressure. I then attempted to start the car. The car started right away and I noticed the pressure went up to above 30+ pounds. It has run fine ever since. Bummer! What is this? I will try to experiment next time. freeinhim then at then gmail then com

I have the same EXACT problem on my 96xj. Please let me know if u find a fix as it is getting harder and harder to start. Like 5 minutes