'97 Wrangler won't start

35

Asked by Aug 02, 2013 at 08:26 AM about the 1997 Jeep Wrangler

A few days ago my Jeep overheated going down the road. I immediatly pulled over, let it cool for about 30 min & added water to the res. A few miles up the road, it started overheating again & again I pulled over, let it cool, res was still full. I didn't make more than 5 miles when I down shifted but didn't any more power & it was trying to shut off on me. Once again, I pulled over. This time it wasn't overheating but restarting either. Fluids were all good, there's fire to the distrib. & it's turning over like it wants to start, just won't. No indicator lights came on either. Any ideas?

get that water out of there...will clobber the block with rust more so than ever...replace with 50/50 coolant mix~ make sure the thermostat is not choked off with rust...probably you temp sensor is clobbered and cannot take a reading on the current engine temp...would have to test to see where the failure to start is~ air, fuel, spark, timing and finally valve timing and it has to be with one of these....do more testing to see if we can narrow it down a bit...thanks~

35

We did flush it all out a few hours later when I got it hauled home & refilled it as you suggested. We'll check all that out. Thanks!!

246,205

Did you replace the thermostat too? What you described can be a symptom of a stuck closed thermostat.

35

The only thing I've replaced is the antifreeze after flushing the radiator.

replace the thermostat....in Wisconsin it was seasonal...you got one every year....ain't but five bucks~

...please....? :)

35

Its not the thermostat. Is it possible to hear the fuel pump when you turn the key & the pump be the prob from not getting enough compression?

enough pressure? that means the fuel pressure regulator is not working...perhaps the vacuum line has fallen off or cracked because they are made from cheap butyl rubber~ these are difficult to diagnose...you've got to have a suction tool to see if the membrane is still doing it's job~

35

Well, it's the fuel pump even tho you can hear it kick on when you turn it over. Thank ya all!!

that would mean an undervoltage condition....you need to pull off the ground lug that attaches to the frame and clean it with a wirebrush and put it back together....that corrosion in between is stopping the 300 amps needed to turn the motor 'round~ also the connection to the motor block (just near the alternator) is the one that needs the amperage through it~

the battery should be newer than 2001 check the knock off labels on the top of the battery to show the date of it's first charge~