2014 Odyssey EX-L trailer lights turn off

Asked by Aug 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM about the 2014 Honda Odyssey

We've upgraded from a 2012 EX-L to a 2014 EX-L Odyssey. My problem is my trailer
lights turn off after a couple minutes... when parked - car running, & also while driving. If
they turn off when parked (engine on), I have to turn off ignition, open door, lock, unlock
& restart and the lights come back on... I've tried just turn engine off/on, unplugging
harness & plugging back in with no affect. When the lights go out while driving, most of
the time they'll come back on if I turn the headlight switch to off then back to on (manual
or auto, no difference) but not always.

I have an aftermarket hitch & standard 4pin + ground flat plug that the dealer had
installed. The same installer & setup I had on my 2012.

I'm a mobile DJ & I tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer (for my equipment). It has the typical 2
orange & 2 red side markers @ the top, 2 red/orange fender lights (one on each side),
and 2 tail/stop/turn signals (one on each side). Never had a problem with the 2012... it
almost acts as if the battery rundown protection is kicking in, which would make sense if
I had lights on with engine off, but certainly shouldn't come into play with engine running
especially going down the road.

On a 35 mile trip home from a gig on Saturday night, I'd hazard a guess that I had to
turn the headlights off/on 25 times... and several times that didn't work & had to go thru
the engine off, cycle door locks, restart scenario.

As you can imagine, it's a real pain... not only when driving but also when loading trailer
@ night; when lights go out, the interior lights go out as well which sucks when I have
equipment to load!

Any pointers or tips would be appreciated!

33,475

Your in danger of burning up your Honda and or having a wreck. No offence but you spent good money for a good vehicle and you mickey moused the trailer wires yourself. Man up and take it to a shop that specializes in wiring and let them fix your bleep up. Then pray Honda never finds out.

I didn't do the wiring myself. The dealer had the harness and hitch installed. The trailer is 2 years old and has OEM wiring and lights in/on it. I towed the very same setup with my 2012 Odyssey which was wired by the same installer w/o a problem.

33,475

Take it back to the dealer and tell them what's going on. I feel that there's a possibility of a fire in the wiring hardness.