fraud

Asked by Jul 01, 2017 at 08:47 PM about the 2014 Chevrolet Equinox

I purchased a car from here in November from a
private seller. The title is branded. I did not know
that meant the car had previously been totaled .... I
even called the seller after leaving DMV confused
and he assured me there were no problems. I have
since had my service air bag light on regularly even
took it to a dealership considering trading it in and
at that point found that not only was it rebuilt but it
is almost unsellable .... dealerships won't touch it. I
have children and no longer feel safe and need to
give the man who sold it to me a chance to make it
right before pursuing legal action. I am sure you can
pull up old posts and find this man.

85,675

There are no archives to search. Since you bought from a private seller there is probably nothing anyone can do. You bought the car as-is. The title would have had the information on it. Did you read it?

I saw branded title .... I asked the question. He states fended bender ..... said he was selling the cat because his son needed more room for sports equipment. I did not research vin as I should have. I did a check and test drive and it seemed perfect. There was a fence in yard with other vehicles out back. He clearly does this for a living. This made me feel h easy also. Didn't go with my gut and didn't check as thorough as I should but that doesn't make it acceptable I was lied to and taken a fool (even if I didn't do my part as thoroughly as I should).

263,795

Cargurus is a listing site. Sellers will say anything to make a sale. I found out a long time ago, trust no one. Sorry, but all you can do is chalk it up to an expensive learning experience. Like FOR explained, since it was a private seller, and those sales are As-Is, you really have no legal recourse unless you have certain guarantees and conditions in writing, not verbal. Good luck!

Thank you, Tom.

10,880

Laws vary from state to state but I know of 2 states that regulate "Recycled Airbags" ... NHTSA's (National Hwy Safety Administration) has a very rigid standard regarding used safety equipment. Buying a used car is one thing but buying a car that has Government Mandated safety equipment without having that equipment could be a serious crime .... Get a Lawyer or at least find out what the book value is on your "Salvaged car" The fact that this dude violated Federal Safety Laws gives you lots to use ,,, Check the laws in your State ,,,Good Luck

10,880

Post the person's name but whenever I use state my complaint keep it accurate and make all personal feelings start with IMO.

55,135

You did not purchase a car from "here" as CarGurus does not sell cars. You can't blame CarGurus for not doing proper research when buying your vehicle.

Thank you so much Tom, very helpful answer!

72,345

This is why it's SO important to run a vehicle history report such as Carfax before buying a used vehicle! Since the vehicle has a rebuilt title it was inspected by a State agency and deemed roadworthy again. In NJ, for example, the inspection takes about 3 hours. You must leave the vehicle and cannot be present for the inspection. It's a very thorough inspection. The State doesn't want to be liable for an accident! As far as legal recourse, forget it. You bought a used vehicle, from a private seller. It's your responsibility to do your homework. If you really feel unsafe have the vehicle inspected by a private inspection company. It costs about $150. Well worth it for the peace of mind. As far as the airbag light being on, I'm not surprised. GMs have been plagued with airbag system problems for several years. I did check and it does not look like your Equinox is included in any of GMs recent airbag system recalls. Let this be a learning experience for you. Always research before you buy!! HTH. -Jim