Can I remove my front differential and still drive?

Asked by Jan 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM about the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

9,875

'99. Maybe (parts of it) but hard to say. Does it have Quadra-Drive, with that option I would say no. What did you break.

21,765

If you replace it with a 2 wheel drive suspension-

9,875

@jamnblues this is a Jeep. There will be no 2WD. You have 4WD or 4WD or 4WD. He may be able to gut some components and run.

9,875

So from what I can tell there were three T-case options for the Grand Cherokee. Quadra-Trac-2, Select-Trac or the Quadra-Drive. There is a torque transfer system in the NV-247 T-case in the Quadra systems. I do not know how it will behave with the front driveshaft removed?? The Select-Trac NV-242 you should have no problems.

9,875

As for the front end just pull the axles separate the cv joints. Re install the outers through the bearings and re-tighten the axle nut. Most people forget to install the outer shaft and have bearings fail (wheel falls off). I believe your abs sensors read the outers so your brakes will still work. This is a tad redneck though!!!

21,765

ok- this is out of my area of expertise- but I remember my son had a 2 wheel drive Comanche pick up- even with the conventional front suspension (as conventional as leaf springs can be) the thing had the loosest steering feel I ever drove- and this was a low mile original! Doing a sort of butchery such as the one we are discussing, because (presumably) of a lack of funds, just doesn't sound safe to me, and is not something I can encourage-

7,315

I have a question for you. Why do you want remove the front differential and drive it?

Yes. You can, it isn't recomended but you can do it. Note make sure that while it is off you set your parking break every time. The reason is that your jeep will want to role even in park. It will slip a little more easily from all gears but mostly park. I had to do this right after I bought my 94 AWD. the idiot had put two different size tires on and I had spent all of duckets on getting the car and had to wait for money to back up again.

I have a 2000 grand cherokee with quadra trac 2 and the front drive shaft turns but the front wheels won't pull. They are free spinning at all times. I guess the front slip clutch pack has gone on on mine...Does anyone know how to fix this problem...

20

Look I got stuck in my drive way and had to be pulled out and did notice all my wheel we're not spinning i been concerned too don't knowbif ABS was stopping other wheels or.if there and issue with these mod like all wheel drive 4x4 ..another. question is how does one shutoff or disconnect. quard systems at to see if it's a mechanical problem or some dirty or broken sensor.. my 97 runs great with 99 grand on highly maint mint v8 but it's mint because I don't leave maintain to others.. Please help like to know howbto diag the Attack system or even shut off manually.. thanks new to the site...Carl