Help

Asked by Mar 18, 2017 at 09:28 PM about the 1999 Jeep Cherokee

My husband changed the oil in my 1999
jeep. Cherokee lerado in now it wont stay
started why

18,685

Unless something came loose. Changing oil will not do that to it, so it must be a separate issue.

18,685

Look it over real good try to figure out what is happening when it dies, do you loose fuel or spark?

It was just fine before he did after. The check gages light came on and now it wont stay started

No you don't

18,685

Use a scanner to see if its setting any codes.

I dont no how to do that lol

18,685

check the grounds to frame from engine and battery, look for loose connectors, Make sure the oil lever is correct. Nothing left undone.

Ok it looks good to me

18,685

Some auto parts stores rent out them or will do it for you if you can get it there. Its another computer to read your on-board computer in your Cherokee. Plugs into the port connector to the side of the steering column near bottom of dash.

18,685

Check your fuse panel under dash & under hood for blown fuses.

I cant drive it so i will see if i can get one tomorrow thanks for ur help

I have my fusees are all good

I don't think the engine is getting fuel idk if its that little security wire that shut it off an inertia switch or if the fuel pump is going out

18,685

Here is a video, url, youtube.

18,685

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAXDkRGTH-A

18,685

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7bD6ckwEuY

18,685

Start watching youtube videos on this issue and read the forum replies below the video's as I saw some saying a weak battery will cause this too.

My battery is new i just put it in last Saturday

18,685

So that not it then, idk

Idk lol

I wish i new someone that could come look at it

18,685

May have to tow it to shop, may ask folks around you if they have a scanner, check that code and reset it too. Some models you can disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 or so seconds to reset the computer.

I fixed it lol

Thanks for your help

18,685

If one of the sensors came unconnected or shorted out or went bad or has a reading that put it in panic mode it can try to start but will turn itself off as fast as it can. Resetting the computer may solve it if (like if it was turned over before oil got to the bottom of pan and it thought it had none) but if it a code there you will not know where to look next, so get it scanned first (make a note of it) & then reset it, try it out, may work fine or may need to figure out the code to check its reason for setting.

18,685

What was it?

Idk i just started it n hit thr break n it work my check gages light comes on then off i dont no wat that is

That started after i got my oil change

18,685

If you can happen to time it perfect while at a parts store that scans computers for customers, and the light comes on while the scanner is plugged up to it they may catch the code for you.

Autozone said they cant.

850

These Jeeps can "self diagnose" by displaying codes on the odometer display. Try this. Without starting the engine, turn the key from OFF to ON then OFF then ON then OFF then ON again. Leave it ON. Then quickly write down the codes. May be more than one code. If you miss a code, you can do it again. When it's done, or if there are no codes stored, it will display "done". Then go online or check a service manual to interpret the codes. I am also thinking a connector was bumped loose while removing the oil filter. Hope this helps.

I hooked it up n everything is good autozone dont no y it comes on n off

How do I tell if oil is on my belt

I have been to 3 different auto places n no one can tell me y my light comes on and off

18,685

If its wet, could be a leak near one of the pulleys and it may be coolant. Your a some spilled out when adding out to crankcase. Look at the engine for wet areas, If a lot is on the belts, can use soapy water to get off just let it dry before cranking it up.

Ok thank u