air conditioning stops working going up a hill but returns well going down hill...recharge it???

Asked by Oct 15, 2008 at 04:12 PM about the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Does my air conditioning need recharged? It works well until its put on a pull like going up a hill but returns to normal going straight or back down hill...Firestone is recommending a pressure test of over $200.00 and I don't want to pay out that much money if it just needs recharged. Can you help me? Thanks, Tammy

515

they could be right. i dont know why it would need to be recharged if it still works. it would need a recharge if it wasnt very cold any more. (like if it feels that luke warm temp) could be a bad hose. is your cruise set by chance when goin up hills when this occurs?

7,515

Doesn't sound like it... and a pressure check shouldn't cost $200, find a new shop, they are bending you over their cash register. When you are on level ground does it blow as cold as it normally would? Does it stay cool at idle(it should get a bit warmer but is it how it normally is?) It loosing cooling while going up hill is kinda odd. Normally that requires a down shift= higher RPMs. It's almost as if the AC clutch is slipping for some reason. Anyone, had a similar issue they can relate to?

25

Ok here is what it sounds like to me. You either have A) Loose connection on a vacuum hose or B) A pinhole leak in a vacuum hose. I have seen a similar issue multiple times and that is what it sounds like with the fact that you are going up hill when this happens but first when you say it stops working you mean it doesnt blow cold correct?

9,395

I had a van that did the exact same thing. The A/C high pressure switch (also called the A/C cutoff switch) was my problem. The system being overcharged would do the same thing. The high pressure switch is cutting the a/c out because it thinks there is a problem or because there is a problem. I would have a system pressure check (about $65 at any Midas) and if all is ok then it is your high pressure switch.

110

I have a 99 GC that had a somewhat simular problem. It was found that the vacuum check valve that prevents the AC controls from changing when the engine vacuum drops due to engine operation. The load on the engine as it pulls the hill will cause the vacuum to drop. This check is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment on the fire wall by the AC unit. Under warranty, the mechanic installed a new check valve and placed another check valve in series with the first to prevent the vacuum from bleeding off as the engine was placed under load. Kind of long, but may fix your problem. Mind has been working fine for about 50K miles since.

30

Avoid that garage like they have a social disease. Forever! If they tried it once they will try it again. Thank god you got away without incurring any loss. Pass the word around. Places like that don't belong in business. It's a check valve or vacuum hose leak. Happens frequently.