glow plug backed out

Asked by Jul 31, 2013 at 01:03 AM about the 2010 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Cargo

Repair people indicated that the antifreeze leak was coming from a loose glow plug. They sealed it up and tightened it. I am not convinced that this is possible or true as they sid if it came out further I would lose all the antifreeze.

The "glow plug" is the ignition source for the diesel fuel and in no way connected to the coolant system. Are you sure they weren't talking about a "engine block freeze plug or engine block heater plug" ? If either of these are loose then you could spill coolant or blow the engine if they let go with up to temperature.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Correction - "if they let go when up to temperature".

Thanks Fordtudor37 It was the block heater plug, Service counter kept calling it "glow plug." They installed the block heater plug in Sept 2012 just before it went into storage. Problem started when the van came out of storage in June 2013. Cost me almost $300.00 to get the diagnosis and repair. Trying to get some money back from management. Wish me luck.

I am glad things turned out good for you. When it comes to repair shops in general I feel a good deal of the problems we face in fixing anything nowadays, is the fact that the people who are supposed to know the correct names and duties of each part, are either inept or clueless.

Good luck getting any money back !

I spoke rationally to management and even though they had a 90 day warrenty on parts and labor they did credit me back a reasonable amount of the total cost of repair. You must have wished me luck.