Drive Shaft / Transfer Case?

Asked by Feb 26, 2014 at 05:43 PM about the 1995 Ford Bronco

My Bronco is making a "poping" noise when i am on a flat surface, going about 30+.  Sometimes i can drive all day and not hear it.  Other times, its CONSTAND and really loud.  Sounds like a rubber ball has been sealed inside of a metal can, and then you shake the can.  seems like its coming from the rear end.  I replaced the spider gears, that wasnt it.

How about your universal joints on your drive shafts? Probably have one that is getting dry and sloppy.

i took it in to a shop, because i thought it was the rear diff, and i had just had it done less than a year ago. they told me that when they did the diff, they didnt replace the spider gears and thats where the noise was coming from. so they did that, and the sound was GONE for 2 weeks. Now its back. I took it back, and they pretty much told me i was imagining things. So i took it back AGAIN, and made them drive with me, and they acknowledged it was making noise. he said he wanted to put it up and have a look at the u joints. he grabbed onto the shaft, and it moves from the front of the truck, to the back... like 3/16ths of an inch He said its not supposed to move at all and he THINKS its a bolt or a seal or something? I just gave these guys $2200 to fix this noise, and now they want another 800. I dont want to give them more money so i thought i would research on my own, and am having NO luck :(

These clowns are really sticking it to you! Replacing U-joints on a Bronco shouldn't be any more than $200. I would change shops. I'm guessing you must live in the city for prices like that. Shouldn't be a seal. You would see that leaking from the rear pumpkin or from the front differential. It really doesn't take much to throw a drive shaft out of whack. Have you ever pulled your long drive shaft off from the shorter one? I bought a Toyota 4x4 and I couldn't get the two shafts apart. Hadn't been greased in years. Had to beat them apart with a sledge hammer. But I got it running perfectly. With all new U-joints.

Ya, i live in the city. It sure doesnt look like its ever been pulled apart.... I guess i'll wait until its a "bad day" and take it to another shop. Either way...more money out of my pocket, dang it. Thanks for helping!

If I were you, I would look up a shop about 75 miles from where you live, call them, get a quote, make an appointment with them, and make a little road trip for yourself. You'll be saving $500 at least.

took it to a tranny shop.....paid them 150 to pull it apart, and put it back together because nothing is wrong with it. They pretty much told me i need to drive it until it breaks because no one can figure it out and it could cost me an arm and a leg to do "exploratory" diagnosing.

"it" is the transfer case :)

So for $150 did they at least change out your U-joints or just drop it and say it looked good pay me? The only other thing I can think of is a bad transfer case shift module. Here is a video. I hope it helps....

Could be the cv joint on the driveshaft, have it rebuilt and balanced