Ford truck starting problem

Asked by Feb 28, 2016 at 12:30 AM about the 2000 Ford E-150

Truck won't start new starter new wire from battey
to started battay is good

79,045

Sounds like the small wire down on the starter may not be getting 12 Volts to activate the starter. There is an other solenoid on the inner fender well somewhere that may be bad.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I checked the the solenoid on the fender that's good it every time I turn the key I makes one loud click and won't turn over

Ii checked wires and tested them them they are putting g out the right amount of volts what's other things could it be motier turns over with wrench so motors not sezed

79,045

So when the key is in the start position you get 12V down on the small starter wire?

Yes

79,045

So the engine will turn over, but it does not start?

No engine dosent turn over

79,045

Ok, at this point it sounds like a bad battery connection, maybe the battery is low, would you have a volt meter? Battery should show 12.5 DCV when fully charged, and it may not have enough cranking amperage, how old is the battery? Another thing to check would be the wires running from the battery, wires themselves may be corroded inside the connectors.

I put in a different battery that is the same cranking amps and newer 2015 is when it was baught and still did the click I I cleaned all ground wires and put new positive wire in

I check fuises witch I highly dought that could have been it but they are good and radio one was good to

79,045

Well then if there is 12 volts to the small wire on the starter when you turn the key to start, and everything else sounds like it is checking out, there has to be a problem with the starter. Try tapping on the starter with a hammer, then try it.

It's brand new just put in last night because I thought that was the problem

Hi

Sorry didnt mean that Hi part

79,045

I know. how about the starter relay? has that ben replaced? I am running out of options here, we have covered just about everything. and it sounds like it all checks out. I just thought of something, has to do with the key and locking cylinder, read there is a diode somewhere an such. I'll do some investigation on this, and get back. I keep looking for your responses in the meantime. Not sure what I am thinking involves your car, but I'll look.

79,045

Ok what I was thinking is not it. Can you check the battery voltage? It should be 12.5 DCV. Thinking a possible draw on the battery.

I went and looked on the draw on battery it stays the same when I turn the ignition on to turn over the draw on it is very low

79,045

Ok, take the starter out, and clean up the mounting surfaces on the starter & the engine with a de-greaser like Brake Clean, or Carburetor cleaner and fine sand paper to the mounting surfaces. I've seen where there is a film or corrosion on the mounting surfaces and so it does not make a good circuit. Sounds like the starter is not drawing the juice threw it. This has to be it.