Values on Diesel vehicles...? Why is this ???

32,075

Asked by Feb 14, 2018 at 02:32 AM about the 2011 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter

On the NADA website for the values of diesel vehicles...this disclaimer is made
below.... what do you think about it??   A lot of people still care about mileage..

Mileage MAY be taken into consideration for gas engine only.
Enter Mileage:

(DO NOT use for diesel engines)

127,155

Diesels are another one of those different beasts, gasoline specs just don't apply, diesels run slower than gas engines, make gobs of torque at much lower RPM's than gas engines, and engine life is considerably longer than a normal gas engine, they are are totally different, and a diesel actually uses a fuel that is really a lubricant. When I had big rigs we didn't even consider it broke in until it had 500000 miles on it. My Dad have an old 1947 671 screaming Jimmy diesel it had over a million miles on it when he bought it, checked everything out and just put on a 4 valve head so it could breath more and drove it another million miles, and when he sold it it was still running great, so you can't apply gasoline reasoning to diesels.

Best Answer Mark helpful
32,075

tennisshoes; that's a great answer.. I just marked it accordingly.... I have heard that diesel engines are good for over 500,000 miles as well... I actually have known a few people who have gone over 500,000 miles on certain cars and trucks,for example, a Toyota Tundra and some 90s Honda Accords.. and also some 80s Volvo's..... A number of people have told me they doubt my Mercedes Benz diesel with the 3 little V6 can't do that...of course, people can say just about anything ... I have less than 40,000 miles on mine.. just came back recently from a 12,000 miles USA trip... checked the oil regularly and even had an oil change during the trip...( Oil changes on my engine are every 10,000 miles), did it around 7,500 for convenience... It didn't use any oil at all in between changes... runs very smoothly... I agree, it is lower RPMs...I suppose, people especially here in the United States, who really don't know the longevity of diesel engines just make old assumptions apply when it comes to overall mileage... not educated...

127,155

Thanks for the points. As with any engine oil changes are a must do, and with Diesels it's no different, however diesels engine oil tends to get dirtier quicker when you get some miles on it, on your rig keep an eye on the oils color and if you notice it starts to get dirtier earlier just increase the change interval to help combat the wear and make sure you use Diesel approved oil. The only real hazard with diesels that are badly worn is the risk of engine run away, it doesn't happen very often but it does happen.

32,075

Thanks you...I have it serviced at Mercedes Benz..my regular mechanic doesn't have a service facility large enough to accommodate the Sprinter and his knowledge and tools are more geared for cars, so, he works on my Subaru Outback and Toyota Prius...he told me a while ago that the Prius should easily go further ( 300,000 miles)... but, he doesn't think the Subaru would go that far.. maybe 150,000 to 200,000 ... would you agree that's a fair statement.. AND, yes, I do keep an eye on the oil and get the oil change regularly on the Sprinter along with the water separator .... very important for the diesel and transmission changed every 20,000 miles.. the Sprinter is kinda expensive.. but it's Mercedes... finally, I use quality oil... have you heard of Liqui Moly..it's an oil from Germany....

32,075

Diesel runaway?? Could that happen with a common rail fuel systems? How rare is that??

127,155

I have heard of Liquid Moly, never used it so I don't have any pros or cons on it. Prius's are outliving Subaru's, seen a couple out my way that have almost 500K miles on them but have had at least one full set of hybrid cells replaced. Diesel run away is rare and only on badly worn engines, yes it can still happen with rail injection, direct injection and precup injection, just shutting off the fuel will not stop it if it happens, only blocking off the air can stop it, What happens is the engine will start pulling the oil up cause everything is just plain worn out, the engines will run faster and faster until someone brave is quick to block off the air, or everyone clears the area and the engine detonates, watch out for engine shrapnel. At one time there was a video of a run away diesel and what happens on You Tube, don't know if it's still up, if you can't find it then look for Diesel Dyno tests gone bad.

32,075

tennisshoes;. Thank you for your answers...I guess between my 2010 Subaru Outback and 2009 Toyota Prius... yes, I guess that would be the car to keep long term... I love my Subaru... but, service is always the name of the game... AS for the Mercedes Benz diesel Sprinter...it only has 39,000 miles on it..it's a Class B Motorhome.. dual wheels, really nice comfortable ride..170 inch wheelbase... plenty of power despite the weight..5 speed tiptronic transmission that can be shifted to any gear... Ultra heavy duty transmission. The Mercedes is maybe not even broken in yet..? We purchased this last year from a dealership who got this on trade from the original owners..( couple in their 60s, like me) who wanted more space.... Class B's are wonderful for driving, parking in smaller spaces than larger rigs, and get 18 to 20 MPG, but, you do sacrifice space... It has a total weight capacity of 3,000 pounds on board with cargo and passengers... since it's just the two of us, we have ample room for extra gear... weight wise...I don't think we'll ever reach anywhere near that.. just not enough room...This thing even has a 5,000 pounds tow capacity...7,000 thousand if you reduce weight in the rig.. Here's a picture...

32,075

Here's a picture of the inside of my rig....

127,155

Nice looking rig. Is it classed as a B, C, or van conversion? I can see an A in the background.

32,075

Hi, YES, it's a Class B Motorhome conversion...the picture at the beach is the outside of the van...the inside picture is the day we purchased it...at the dealership.... there is a Class A in the background... Here's another photo of the inside with the cabinets...the second row of seats are an option..we have the armoire cabinets installed behind the driver's and passengers seat for extra storage while traveling....this link below is the actual vehicle we got.. https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/vehicle- details/f22d7e5afa634d388dbeffb59e9eb708

32,075

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/vehicle- details/f22d7e5afa634d388dbeffb59e9eb708

32,075

The link I just posted has lots of great pictures.....

32,075

The company that does the conversion is Roadtrek.... they have been in business since 1974 and only do Class B conversions.... since they started their business, they only recently passed the 30,000 unit....so, there's not too many of these around.... Just passed this last August 2017... amazing. http://www.roadtrek.com/news-events/roadtrek-celebrates-30000-units/

32,075

The RS Adventurous is one of the top of the line van conversions....they convert a number of gasoline engine vans on the Chevy platform, but, the Sprinter is one of the top models....

Mark- what did you pay for your Sprinter?