Can a Mercedes Benz 3 Litre - 1,000,000 Miles??

16,575

Asked by Sep 23, 2015 at 12:52 AM about the 2011 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter

People say that this is a "MILLION MILE ENGINE ".  ARE THEY'RE CORRECT?
And,  what's the annual maintenance costs?     And,  is the performance on the
Sprinter respectable on a Class B motor vehicle. ??

16,575

This is a turbocharged 3 Litre V6 Diesel engine.

16,575

If you know, please tell me if a 100,000 miles is just broken in.

8,335

This is the "go to" engine/chassis for many Class B RV's. Assuming good maintenance - everything else in the RV will fail LONG before the engine ever does.

16,575

Bob, thank you. Just the other day, we met someone with an RV who was lamenting that he should have purchased a diesel engine for his rig over the gas engine. He said that he found it hard to justify the price difference between the two, but, he is regretting that now because his vehicle gets only 6 to 8 mpg and he says that the engine has to run at very high rpms to go up grades and it slows him down a lot. He said that the Mercedes Benz diesel even though it's only a 3 Litre V6, runs at much lower rpms and has the power to go everywhere easily. And, it will get 18 to 20 mpg. I just don't know what the overall maintenance costs are on this compared to a gas. He has a V10 and its a real gas guzzler. Finally, he told me the same thing ----the coach will start to break down before the engine and drive train . These must be pretty bullet proof engines. We like to travel and be mobile on the road, sounds like we would get much more experiences with the diesel-powered vehicle.

16,575

So, even a used vehicle equipped with the Mercedes Benz diesel 3.0 and 100,000 miles is nothing to be concerned about provided it's been maintained? Do you have any idea on the appropriate maintenance costs annually?

16,575

Bob, I was listening to a radio broadcast about the diesel-powered snafu with VW. They're saying that the federal government mandated emissions a 95 percent reduction for Nox in 2009. My question for you is, will getting a Mercedes Benz diesel be more difficult in the future to keep up with emissions standards. I guess I should consider purchasing this in California to ensure that it's sold with the current standards. I wouldn't want to get a few years out and in 5 years or so discover that it would take thousands of dollars to comply. Maybe the engineering at Mercedes Benz has already figured this out? Your thoughts?

8,335

Don't give a second thought to VW's problems. As for Mercedes, I have had several and currently have a special edition SL550. It amazes me just how strong, reliable and good mileage all their engines get. If you plan to do more than 8,000 miles per year - that alone will justify the diesel cost. We had the Ford V10 in our last motorhome. It is a great engine. But, it sucks gas and normally runs over 3000 rpm at high way speeds. First time you are in the mountains - or even rolling hills, you will enjoy the benefits of diesel over gas. As for maintenance. The diesel requires the normal oil changes (might have a higher capacity than the gas engine). This service can be done anywhere. The only real difference is that you need to change fuel filters more often than gas engines. Diesel fuel is not refined as well as gas and it is highly unlikely that you will find any pump rating - like gas. The only Federal requirement is that it is 40 cetane. Diesel fuels CAN contain up to 20% of biofuel. It is a marketing decision by the station selling you the fuel. The more biofuel it contains - the lower they can buy it for. You, the consumer, have no way of knowing what you are putting in your tank. That is why fuel filters need to be changed and/or why you sometimes see diesels spewing black smoke. If at all possible - only use Shell branded diesel fuel. It is a top tier and only contains 5% biofuel. You will see a difference in your mileage and performance. Offhand, I don't know what other brands only use 5% biofuel. But I am sure there are some.

Best Answer
16,575

Bob, thank you for your answer, I'm marking your response "best answer ".

10

We had a 3.0 and could not wait to get out of it. do some research and you will find the 3.0 will cost you big time to maintain. At 40K miles, oil cooler replacement the dealer wanted $4K to replace and felt they were doing me a favor and offered to do it at $2K. With assistance and a months worth of teeth pulling the dealer did it for $1400. It is a 15 hour job and it took The Mercedes dealer in Pompano Beach, FL two weeks to get the car back. Then the DEF sensor goes out another $2100. to repair this time with only 47K on the dial. Google mercedes 3.0 diesel problems and read the article from Stevens auto repair in CA. He will give you alot to think about. If you do buy it get the extended warranty.

16,575

tompont-. WOW, WOW, WOW,. I just finished reading your message and the one here below... Interesting and thanks for this. http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems