2004 e350 diesel 2 batteries has slow crank

30

Asked by Sep 16, 2015 at 04:35 PM about the 2004 Ford E-350

new starter, had batteries tested they passed still have slow crank. Wire from batteries to chassis stud got real hot so replaced that wire and cleaned stud. Cleaned all terminal ends and installed new ground bolt on frame for battery ground. i have battery voltage at ground stud and power stud on frame and at the starter. but both power and ground sides failed voltage drop test. Not sure what else to do.

1,405

is the ground from the eng to frame hooked up and good also i don't know power stud on frame? but also take the big wire off the back of the alternator see if you crank faster do your glow plugs come on like normal

26,185

load test the battery and check your starter draw...called a VAT test..

30

The stud is just a stud where 4 hot wires meet on frame. I load tested batteries and they were fine but i dont have an amp clamp to test draw any other way to test that? I found a ground strap broke on the body to frame and i replaced that. there is a strap from alternator mounting bolt to the top of engine bay where wiper motors are and that is in good shape. I turn the key on glow plugs run then light turns off so i assume they are working. batteries are good but when i turn the key on the low voltage light comes on and they drop to 11.9 some volts at key on

1,405

What are the volts when you crank it ?

1,405

Did you load test each battery by its self or still hooked up in truck

30

I load tested them in vehicle both batteries I can take them out and test it if i need too. It dropped below 10 v during crank. new starter and good batteries though but it barley turns on crank i mean really lethargic.

30

i also took batteries to advanced and tested them and they were fine.

1,405

Well I would have thought one battery would test bad I think if they tested your battery's as good and you cca is over 700 you should be good dose the alternator put out a good charg? Have your starter checked could be a bad repair.

30

I just replaced with brand new starter but i don't know about alternator cant get it to run to test charge, it was running a few days ago and now nothing. it was all of the sudden. anything else i should check, couldn't find engine ground to frame do you know where that would be?? should i take alternator out or can i test it some other way?

1,405

hey i was just thinking take your belt off and see if it cranks normal i did have a ac pump lock up on a truck last year and it cranked slow just a thought

30

will try thank you!

30

hey rhodes would this have 2 altenators?? that is what it looks like. any idea how to get them out? very very cramped

1,405

it could have 2 and they are a hard to get out. did you try just taking the belt off and turn it over 1st

30

Actually finally got the belt off today and found that the AC pulley will not spin by hand like its seized. Does that mean the compressor is bad or just the clutch. Do i have to replace the compressor or can i just replace the clutch?

1,405

i think you need a compressor.

1,405

but also i think you can get a belt for a non ac system and at least run the truck tell you can get one

1,405

did your truck start ok?

30

it cranked a lot better had ignition pulled so it wouldnt start because belt is not completely off but yea i think that was out issue

1,405

I am glad i think you got it