key wont turn off and release

Asked by Jun 21, 2018 at 06:03 PM about the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

When i go to park and turn off the key it locks half way and won't come out.  
Have to reverse and pull forward sometimes several times before it will turn
completely off.  Anyone else have these issues?

24,050

Are you PUSHING IN the key to rotate through the final part of the cycle?

70

This is happening to my wifes car right now..... going to call Subaru and find out what's going on

90

Happening to me as well with my 2015 Crosstrek...

24,050

Not seen this with OBs or Legacys. Maybe an Imp/CT/For issue?

230

Just started happening to me with my 2016 crosstrek,. Has anyone had a resolution?

24,050

Seems to be a Hiroshima factory issue. Call dealer for help.

20

My 2015 just started doing this, too. Really frustrating.

40

Try to firmly place the car in Park with the wheels as straight as possible. This works for me.

260

I discovered from a friend who works at Subaru that there has been a technical service bulletin about an issue with the "shift selecter mechanism." Subaru is aware of the persistent problem, but has not issued a recall. If you are under your 36,000 3 year warranty, they will replace it. If not, they suggested I call Subaru directly to discuss, but otherwise I will likely have to pay for this out-of-pocket. $232.50 for labor and not sure the cost of the part despite it being a chronic Subaru-based problem.

20

I started having this problem on my 2016 Forester a few months ago, right after the 3 year warrant ended....

24,050

In the meantime try jiggling the steering wheel to see if this helps loosen the interlock system as you retract the key.

80

It's happening to my 2016 Crosstek. After I got an oil change last week at my Subaru dealer, it started doing this.

Happened on my 2016 Legacy, started right after the basic warranty expired, in the shop now as this is a known issue with a sensor in the shifter in the console. Fortunately I have the extended warranty so it will only cost me $100 out of pocket.

Just started with my 2016 Impreza hatch-back, at the first stop I made after going to a car wash. I thought it was one of their drivers.

60

This just started to us after buying our used 2016 Crosstrek...cannot get the keys out of the ignition after tuning the engine off. As many other people talk, we’ve been able to work around this by ‘jiggling’ with the shifter to confirm it knows it is in PARK, allowing our keys to be released. Car is now at the dealer for the tail light recall, and they shall be looking into a possible shifter repair as well.

160

This just started with my 2015 Crosstrek. I just brought it to the dealership but it is over the warranty. They are supposed to call with the price tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone else has paid out of pocket for this? I would love to hear any prices since I'm nervous about this.

This just started happening to my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek and to answer yes I pushed in the key, yes my wheels are straight. It is really scary. I have an appointment but thank you Guru above that seems like a logical answer.

50

Dealer just repaired my 2016 Crosstrek that is a few weeks out of warranty at no charge. Total repair took about 40 minutes and am happy to report my key no longer sticks!

10

2015 Subaru Impreza, CVT. Key won't finish turn to locking/release position sometimes. Pressing the button on the shifter a few times will trigger it to release, so it's been manageable, just really annoying. Out of warranty, so I'll have to take it in or do it myself.

180

This problem has started to occur on my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek as well. After reading all the other post I feel that Subaru should have a recall on this issue. Being that there is no maintenance that one can do to prevent this, I don't feel that I or we should have to pay for anything relating to this. it is not like you have to grease it or change the oil in it. Certainly a defect issue from the factory.

160

I completely agree! The Subaru dealership I went to charged me $430 BUT the dealership told me to call Subaru and they would hear my claim. I told them what happened and that other people experienced the same problem. They had me send a picture of the bill and ended up sending me a check with the full amount. Soooo it should be a recall but they will end up paying for it - it’s just more annoying.

180

Just out of curiosity, all the previous post I wonder if each vehicle has remote start installed? I ask this because my 2016 Crosstrek did not start this problem until right after I installed the remote start.

160

Mine didn’t

180

Okay, I just contacted Subaru of America and they told me to schedule an appointment with the local dealership and to let them know the date and time of that appointment and they were also going to be in touch with that dealership. Subaru of America said they wanted to help me with this issue but did not come right out and say they would pay for it. We will see on that part. Also, when I called the dealership to schedule an appointment he immediately said it is the park switch. That they have seen this numerous of times. I will update again after this issue is resolved.

10

This started happening to me last week after I just had a recall on my turn signal that they replaced.

30

My car has been doing this for 6 months now. I have a 2013 cross trek. I have to start and turn off my car multiple times before it lets me get the key out. EXTREMELY frustrating

30

2017 limited just started doing this. 3 times in last week. Heading to dealer tomorrow while it’s still under warranty.

Happening on my 2015 subaru crosstrek

well that is so funny i took my crosstrex in and they fixed it telling me there was a recall it is still happening i called them i was on hold for 20 mins and got disconnected so pissed off way to go # 1 cochran give me a break

30

WL Subaru in Northumberland PA fixed mine in under an hour, under warranty.

650

Shift "column"? I think you mean the shift console, and not the steering column, near the key switch. I know it's a bit confusing, but repair should be gratis.

This just started with my 2015 crosstrek and I’m currently stuck in the car and can’t get the key out!

650

Try inserting the key a bit further as you step on the brake and jiggle the key AND the gear shift nob while in Park. Then get it permanently repaired.

30

Tasia, they just replaced that plate guide on my '17 in literally under an hour - while mine was under warranty and done for free without question, $400 is absolutely outrageous.

20

There is a service bulletin DATE: 03/15/18 16-112-18R REVISED: 11/06/18 from Subaru about this issue. I’m sitting at the dealership and happy I bought extended warranty. It will cost me $50 rather than $350 to replace the part that was designed to fix issue. Service rep explained that the plate had originally been installed wrong (by Subaru) and it wears so the car doesn’t recognize when it’s put in park. I have a 2015 model with less than 30,000 miles. Can’t believe I have to pay anything based on the explanation from Service Rep and it is a “known “ issue.

650

Known Japanese factory Imp/CT/Forester issue.

20

I had hoped that the Forester/Crosstrek/Impreza brake lamp switch recall would fix the key-stuck-in-the-ignition problem, but it didn't. So I took my 2016 Forester again, and yay it's finally fixed. The invoice states: -Perform TSB 16-112-18R Park-Range Switch R&R for ignition key sticking -Replaced Shifter Lever Plate and Associated Pieces The exact part numbers of the shifter plate and clamps are: -35122FJ033 Plate Guide AY (Qty 1) -35164AJ000 Clamp (Qty 1) -35164AJ010 Clamp (Qty 1) My extended warranty covered it and I just had to pay the $50 deductible. Good luck everyone.

30

Shifter plate was what they replaced on mine as well. Mine was still under warranty (2017) so no deductible applied. Now what's funny is... they installed the plate upside down, so I couldn't put it in manual mode, but they made that right and it's fine now

I’ve been experiencing the same issue, albeit sporadic. My dealership said it was the shift solenoid and clip that needs replaced. Does that sound right? I am concerned b/c I see others mention it being a shifter plate. Maybe those are one in the same, but it didn’t look like it to me after a super quick search on Google. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

20

They asked if I had the brake switch recall done, I guess it can cause similar problems. I had it done so this was next on their list. Being the plate was installed (at the factory) incorrectly it wears on one side making it so the car doesn’t know it’s in park, so it can release the key.

I am having the same issue with my 2015 Crosstrek (less than 25,000 miles on it). So glad I found this. Currently trying to schedule an appointment with the dealer for service.

40

I was also having troubles with my key getting stuck in the ignition of my 2013 Crosstrek XV. When I called Subaru of America they let me know it could be due to the recall on the brake lamp. When I took it to the dealer to get that checked out, that did help, but I was still having issues with the key getting stuck. I asked them to take a look at the starter switch like recommended here, but it turns out it was the shifter plate guide that was faulty. Evidently it has not yet been recalled, but it is a solution on the technical service bulletin issued with the brake lamp recall. It costs $356.00 to fix, but I've called Subaru to request goodwill support on the cost. They are looking into it. Highly recommend if you're having this issue, please call Subaru, it could lead to a recall if enough people are having issues with this part being faulty. In the meantime, I hope this is helpful to anyone else having issues with their key getting stuck in the ignition.

10

This just started happening to my 2016 Crosstrek after I had my break switch recall done.

40

@guru1HTPN mine was not the break switch lamp either... they tried to tell me it was, but it was actually a plate in the shifter.

Just happened with my 2015 crosstrek. Followed example and called Subaru of America. They’re giving me a $350 coupon when the dealer quoted me $450. I’m okay with paying $100 because mine just is about a month out of warranty.

just FYI dealership "fixed" this issue a year ago. it's happening again. they changed the plate and also a switch. it's happening again and want to charge me 350 dlls.... that's BS.

I also have a 2016 cross trek that this issue just began a few weeks ago. Right now doing the workaround. Rolling forward then back and then trying Park again. Then shutting ignition off. It’s really a pain and am very disappointed in my Suburu. I already had to have a brand new transmission put in. I have only 37,000 miles.

This is now the same issue with my 2016 crosstrek. Key will not turn off the car. I have already had a brand new transmission put into this car that i purchased brand new! I am under 38,000 miles. I am really mad, i thought Suburu was supposed to be so good. Does anyone have a contact number at Suburu of America. Just frustrated. Thanks

650

1-800subaru3

This just happened tonight on my 2015 Subaru Crosstrek!

Just became intolerable on my 2017 Crosstrek, which I purchased 3 months ago used from a Toyota dealer. Started out once in a while, now every darn time! Scary, once I couldn't even turn car off. Went to dealer, they said yeah, lots of this complaint. They knew exactly what parts needed, appointment tomorrow. I bought extra warranty, since it was expired when I got the car, but I'm calling Subaru cause I resent paying for a known factory defect, even if it's a reduced amount.