key wont turn off and release

Asked by Jun 21, 2018 at 06:03 PM about the 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

When i go to park and turn off the key it locks half way and won't come out.  
Have to reverse and pull forward sometimes several times before it will turn
completely off.  Anyone else have these issues?

20,850

Are you PUSHING IN the key to rotate through the final part of the cycle?

20

This is happening to my wifes car right now..... going to call Subaru and find out what's going on

30

Happening to me as well with my 2015 Crosstrek...

20,850

Not seen this with OBs or Legacys. Maybe an Imp/CT/For issue?

140

Just started happening to me with my 2016 crosstrek,. Has anyone had a resolution?

20,850

Seems to be a Hiroshima factory issue. Call dealer for help.

My 2015 just started doing this, too. Really frustrating.

30

Try to firmly place the car in Park with the wheels as straight as possible. This works for me.

160

I discovered from a friend who works at Subaru that there has been a technical service bulletin about an issue with the "shift selecter mechanism." Subaru is aware of the persistent problem, but has not issued a recall. If you are under your 36,000 3 year warranty, they will replace it. If not, they suggested I call Subaru directly to discuss, but otherwise I will likely have to pay for this out-of-pocket. $232.50 for labor and not sure the cost of the part despite it being a chronic Subaru-based problem.

I started having this problem on my 2016 Forester a few months ago, right after the 3 year warrant ended....

20,850

In the meantime try jiggling the steering wheel to see if this helps loosen the interlock system as you retract the key.

20

It's happening to my 2016 Crosstek. After I got an oil change last week at my Subaru dealer, it started doing this.

Happened on my 2016 Legacy, started right after the basic warranty expired, in the shop now as this is a known issue with a sensor in the shifter in the console. Fortunately I have the extended warranty so it will only cost me $100 out of pocket.

Just started with my 2016 Impreza hatch-back, at the first stop I made after going to a car wash. I thought it was one of their drivers.

50

This just started to us after buying our used 2016 Crosstrek...cannot get the keys out of the ignition after tuning the engine off. As many other people talk, we’ve been able to work around this by ‘jiggling’ with the shifter to confirm it knows it is in PARK, allowing our keys to be released. Car is now at the dealer for the tail light recall, and they shall be looking into a possible shifter repair as well.

70

This just started with my 2015 Crosstrek. I just brought it to the dealership but it is over the warranty. They are supposed to call with the price tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone else has paid out of pocket for this? I would love to hear any prices since I'm nervous about this.

This just started happening to my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek and to answer yes I pushed in the key, yes my wheels are straight. It is really scary. I have an appointment but thank you Guru above that seems like a logical answer.

20

Dealer just repaired my 2016 Crosstrek that is a few weeks out of warranty at no charge. Total repair took about 40 minutes and am happy to report my key no longer sticks!

2015 Subaru Impreza, CVT. Key won't finish turn to locking/release position sometimes. Pressing the button on the shifter a few times will trigger it to release, so it's been manageable, just really annoying. Out of warranty, so I'll have to take it in or do it myself.

40

This problem has started to occur on my 2016 Subaru Crosstrek as well. After reading all the other post I feel that Subaru should have a recall on this issue. Being that there is no maintenance that one can do to prevent this, I don't feel that I or we should have to pay for anything relating to this. it is not like you have to grease it or change the oil in it. Certainly a defect issue from the factory.

70

I completely agree! The Subaru dealership I went to charged me $430 BUT the dealership told me to call Subaru and they would hear my claim. I told them what happened and that other people experienced the same problem. They had me send a picture of the bill and ended up sending me a check with the full amount. Soooo it should be a recall but they will end up paying for it - it’s just more annoying.

40

Just out of curiosity, all the previous post I wonder if each vehicle has remote start installed? I ask this because my 2016 Crosstrek did not start this problem until right after I installed the remote start.

70

Mine didn’t

40

Okay, I just contacted Subaru of America and they told me to schedule an appointment with the local dealership and to let them know the date and time of that appointment and they were also going to be in touch with that dealership. Subaru of America said they wanted to help me with this issue but did not come right out and say they would pay for it. We will see on that part. Also, when I called the dealership to schedule an appointment he immediately said it is the park switch. That they have seen this numerous of times. I will update again after this issue is resolved.

This started happening to me last week after I just had a recall on my turn signal that they replaced.

10

My car has been doing this for 6 months now. I have a 2013 cross trek. I have to start and turn off my car multiple times before it lets me get the key out. EXTREMELY frustrating

2017 limited just started doing this. 3 times in last week. Heading to dealer tomorrow while it’s still under warranty.