I have a 85 Nissan. It cranks and idles ok, but if I give it any gas it sputters and dies.

Asked by Dec 04, 2012 at 01:31 AM about the 1985 Nissan Pickup

I wouldn't think it was a relay since it does start, nor the fuel filter since it just started doing this all of the sudden.
I have access to a fuel pressure tester, but will I have to drop the tank to access the pump. I'm not great at/HATE
working on vehicles, so any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Tony

Your TPS is shot.(throttle positioning sensor)..When the TPS goes out, The car will start,and idle good,as soon as you touch the gas pedal,it stutters,or dies..Replace it,and happy motoring!!

Could you give me an idea on where it's located, how hard it is to replaced, and is there a way to test it or bypass it to verify it's defective. thanks again, Tony

It is located on the side of the throttle body.The little black box,with a plug,consisting of 3-5 wires..One other thing to check,is your mass air flow sensor..It"s located on the top of the throttle body...You really need a manual,for testing procedures..