Engine problem

Asked by Jan 05, 2018 at 09:29 PM about the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox

Will anyone please be honest that the
2010-2013 equinox is just junk?
I bought a 13 with the intent to have a safe
reliable car because I was pregnant and
expecting my first child. 6 months later 9
month pregnant I’m stranded on the side
of the road in a blizzard with a blown
engine. So Gates Chevy in Indiana fixed it
at no cost because it was under warranty.
I called a few months ago because I
couldn’t go between oil changes without
having to add oil. Gates did an engine oil
test told me not to add check anything if it
blew up it blows up they will cover it. I
return after test to be told well there’s
nothing we can do about it luckily it didn’t
blow up cuz apparently I’d be footing that
bill.
This vehicle is junk. I drove a Trailblazer for
years traded it in with the HIGHEST
recorded miles for that vehicle type and
never had one single problem. This
Equinox has had two engines needs
another at my cost (the 2nd isn’t quite 2
years old) manifold needs replaced (which
is not a common problem I’ve had not
anyone I know has had) also at my cost
replaced wiper motor which you have a
recall on but apparently won’t pay my
money back.
I don’t ask for much I’m a pretty simple
person but to pay $500 a month for a
vehicle that needs hundreds and
thousands of dollars in repairs every time I
turn around is very frustrating. I would
think that you should make things right
with your customers. You and Gates
should back what you sell and your
repairs. This is not something I should have
to deal with and I definately should not
have to worry about the safety of my child
in a car that is 4 years old and has a 2 year
old engine.

160

No I've heard nothing but good reviews on equinox. People/customers are very happy with car. Sorry to hear your having issues with your car. Sounds like bad repair work or bad advise. Good luck!

149,385

Next time try Toyota or Honda.

86,655

My neighbor had an '06 Equinox that she bought new. Kept it only long enough to pay for it then traded it in. From the time it was 6 months old it had countless check engine light problems!! The passenger's side window stopped working as did the interior lights. Unfortunately GM has been churning out poor quality vehicles for the last 20 years! I'd do as Tom suggested and call GM Customer Service. Hopefully they can make it right for you. GM obviously filed for bankruptcy for a reason. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis and I'm very happy with it. If you want an American Car my advice is buy a Ford product! HTH. -Jim

8,775

trade it in , thats the most you're going to get out of it , just buy a car , everybody gets an suv or something . Store junk in your closet , get groceries in a car , some cars are made on a monday looks like you bought one .

75,615

Raising the hood and periodically checking the engine oil level is a necessary maintenance practice. With today's longer oil change intervals it is sometimes necessary to add some oil between those changes. Equinox have had probably more than their share of problems. Get rid of it and consider another brand such as Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mazda.

27,805

Here's a little secret- because you are showing the first signs of enlightenment- ALL 21st Century cars are junk- they are manufactured for sale, corporate profits, and total disregard for the consumer- if they run off the new car lot, that's good enough for the manufacturer- the days of real cars, with style, reliability, and mechanical integrity, are long gone- a thing of the past- those OLD cars could be rebuilt completely, meaning that theoretically they could last forever- if they didn't rust- (a big IF)- but see? if cars would last for 20 years and then be rebuilt, then WE ARE NOT SELLING NEW CARS- let us all decry this new era where everything is junk- except diamonds and gold bars, I guess-

10

Yes. It's junk. I have the same vehicle and very same problem. Major oil consumption, I'm talking oil change every month. Had engine replace 10/17, still high oil consumption. First it starts a clicking noise and you already what's coming. Since then I have had two rear main seal replaced....NOT COVER BY WARRANTY....at 1500 each.... Chevy has been no help....The engines are bad as well as transmission which I had replaced in April 2018....its just sad that they don't stand behind their Vehicle. I will NEVER purchase another GM.

10

I owned a 2012 equinox - 3.0 V6 with 6 speed - fantastic vehicle ran it 86000 miles and it still had the original front brakes, replaced the rear brakes at 74000, and the original tires were replaced at 62000 due to upcoming winter / could have gone longer if living in warm climate. I don’t think some of those other car brands mentioned will do this ? On our VAC trips we do 80 MPH on the Maine turnpike at 2000 rpm, smooth, quiet, comply like your in you family room

10

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox and noticed the ticking noise and car shaking . I noticed a little over a year ago when it's time for an oil change car would act this way and car was fine until couple weeks ago engine light never came on to warn me and started shaking and knocking again. I had to put 3 quarts of oil in it and noise won't go away and out of warranty with only 34,000 miles. These cars are junk, and GM should do something with such little mileage and have this problem. Totally disgusted and will never buy a Chevy again.

20

Guru5 I have the same issues with my 2013 Equinox. First and Chevy I’ll ever buy. I’ve put thousands of dollars in repairs into it. My Equinox left me stranded 2 days ago. Engine issues. Oil does not last between oil changes. I get maybe 1000 miles out of oil before my engine start knocking. Total crap. I pay 543 a month. With monthly repairs it’s putting me in the hole.

10

To Jamnblues: wholeheartedly agree with you. I had a mechanic back in the early 80s who use to buy 1959 Chrysler 300Cs at auction because that was the car he drove. He just used the cars for parts and his car was still running great into the early 90s when I moved out of the area. That was over 30 years with the same car. Try that 2day. BTW: Got 20 mpg on his trips to FL from PA.

10

Our daughter has a 2013 Equinox. Where to begin.... First of all let me say it was a piece of junk when she bought it and the Chevrolet dealer at Gentry’s Chevrolet knew it. It uses oil like no body’s business. The rear main seal went out and we got that fixed. Four months later while coming down our driveway it just quit. No matter what you tried nothing would work. Had two different machanics tell us the timing chain broke. It was towed back to the dealership because we were told They were going to fix it. Well 18 weeks later the piece of junk is still there. NOT FIXED! Words of advice DO NOT BUY A CHEVY EQUINOX WITH A 2.4 LITER ENGINE!!

I just contacted a lawyer who is reviewing my case to join other Equinox owners in a lawsuit. My 2010 has had 2 engines because of timing chain breaking. One engine was covered by warranty because it had less probably less than 50,000 miles on it. The other one I had to pay for, after being stranded on an interstate at dark in heavy traffic.I replaced wheel bearings under 100,000 miles. I was told by GM dealer that the transmission was shot a few months after the engine repair!! I took to Ammaco and they said just needed some TLC and cost me $300 instead of the $3000 the dealer wanted. Ran fine for another couple of years. My car just now has 130,000 miles on it. It wouldn't shift out of first gear the other day. Only one piston is firing. Great another $1500 this week!! I'm so disappointed that GM won't stand behind this model of car. Stories all over the internet about the Equinox!

My 2013 Equinox has never used oil. It has 65000 miles and is always full at my regular 5000 mile oil changes. My son's 2014 Equinox is also around 65000 miles and uses 1 qt/ 2500 miles. Guess I'm just lucky for now.

10

I have a 2011 Equinox. Had 26 miles on it when I bought it in 2012. Drove fine for a few years. Great gas mileage. Never a problem. Then I get up one morning two years ago and it's sluggish to start when I crank it up to go to work. Drove it to work and it seemed ok. Got off work and I go out and crank it up. Tried to put it in gear and it won't go forward or backwards. Had to replace the transmission. Its had a tick when it's running for about three years and goes thru oil way before I get to the 3000 miles to have it changed. A year ago I had to replace the windshield wiper motor. Last week, I went to crank it up and it sounded horrible. I drove it to work cautiously. It died in the middle of an intersection and I had to end up having it towed. Looking roughly at $6100 to replace the motor now. I just paid the car off the beginning of this year. It's not worth $6100! We're going Black Friday shopping for a new vehicle. Hope you resolved the issues with your car. I will never buy another Equinox or recommend them to anyone.

I have a 2010 Equinox with 89,000 km. It burns oil like crazy!!! Have to check oil levels frequently. According to my Mechanic the vehicle needs a new motor. He is telling me to get rid of it. I’m very annoyed!!! Won’t be purchasing another GM product!! I have been a loyal GM customer all my life....not anymore!! A disappointed GM Equinox Customer!!!

Hello. I have a 2011 Equinox. It has been sounding like a bag of nickles in a dryer when I start it up. And I have been hearing a whining sound when I am driving. Today the engine started running real rough, and kept cutting off at every light. I drifted onto my local tire shop lot. Every light in the world came on on the dash. It sounded horrible when it made it there. I had just checked the oil, 2 hours earlier. I think the oil pump went out. Anyway, there went my engine. I love everything about this car except the motor and transmission. But I hear I really need those in a car. looking to buy another vehicle now.