Engine problem

Asked by Jan 05, 2018 at 09:29 PM about the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox

Will anyone please be honest that the
2010-2013 equinox is just junk?
I bought a 13 with the intent to have a safe
reliable car because I was pregnant and
expecting my first child. 6 months later 9
month pregnant I’m stranded on the side
of the road in a blizzard with a blown
engine. So Gates Chevy in Indiana fixed it
at no cost because it was under warranty.
I called a few months ago because I
couldn’t go between oil changes without
having to add oil. Gates did an engine oil
test told me not to add check anything if it
blew up it blows up they will cover it. I
return after test to be told well there’s
nothing we can do about it luckily it didn’t
blow up cuz apparently I’d be footing that
bill.
This vehicle is junk. I drove a Trailblazer for
years traded it in with the HIGHEST
recorded miles for that vehicle type and
never had one single problem. This
Equinox has had two engines needs
another at my cost (the 2nd isn’t quite 2
years old) manifold needs replaced (which
is not a common problem I’ve had not
anyone I know has had) also at my cost
replaced wiper motor which you have a
recall on but apparently won’t pay my
money back.
I don’t ask for much I’m a pretty simple
person but to pay $500 a month for a
vehicle that needs hundreds and
thousands of dollars in repairs every time I
turn around is very frustrating. I would
think that you should make things right
with your customers. You and Gates
should back what you sell and your
repairs. This is not something I should have
to deal with and I definately should not
have to worry about the safety of my child
in a car that is 4 years old and has a 2 year
old engine.

150

No I've heard nothing but good reviews on equinox. People/customers are very happy with car. Sorry to hear your having issues with your car. Sounds like bad repair work or bad advise. Good luck!

138,735

Next time try Toyota or Honda.

84,365

My neighbor had an '06 Equinox that she bought new. Kept it only long enough to pay for it then traded it in. From the time it was 6 months old it had countless check engine light problems!! The passenger's side window stopped working as did the interior lights. Unfortunately GM has been churning out poor quality vehicles for the last 20 years! I'd do as Tom suggested and call GM Customer Service. Hopefully they can make it right for you. GM obviously filed for bankruptcy for a reason. I have a Mercury Grand Marquis and I'm very happy with it. If you want an American Car my advice is buy a Ford product! HTH. -Jim

8,215

trade it in , thats the most you're going to get out of it , just buy a car , everybody gets an suv or something . Store junk in your closet , get groceries in a car , some cars are made on a monday looks like you bought one .

72,125

Raising the hood and periodically checking the engine oil level is a necessary maintenance practice. With today's longer oil change intervals it is sometimes necessary to add some oil between those changes. Equinox have had probably more than their share of problems. Get rid of it and consider another brand such as Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mazda.

27,315

Here's a little secret- because you are showing the first signs of enlightenment- ALL 21st Century cars are junk- they are manufactured for sale, corporate profits, and total disregard for the consumer- if they run off the new car lot, that's good enough for the manufacturer- the days of real cars, with style, reliability, and mechanical integrity, are long gone- a thing of the past- those OLD cars could be rebuilt completely, meaning that theoretically they could last forever- if they didn't rust- (a big IF)- but see? if cars would last for 20 years and then be rebuilt, then WE ARE NOT SELLING NEW CARS- let us all decry this new era where everything is junk- except diamonds and gold bars, I guess-

10

Yes. It's junk. I have the same vehicle and very same problem. Major oil consumption, I'm talking oil change every month. Had engine replace 10/17, still high oil consumption. First it starts a clicking noise and you already what's coming. Since then I have had two rear main seal replaced....NOT COVER BY WARRANTY....at 1500 each.... Chevy has been no help....The engines are bad as well as transmission which I had replaced in April 2018....its just sad that they don't stand behind their Vehicle. I will NEVER purchase another GM.

10

I owned a 2012 equinox - 3.0 V6 with 6 speed - fantastic vehicle ran it 86000 miles and it still had the original front brakes, replaced the rear brakes at 74000, and the original tires were replaced at 62000 due to upcoming winter / could have gone longer if living in warm climate. I don’t think some of those other car brands mentioned will do this ? On our VAC trips we do 80 MPH on the Maine turnpike at 2000 rpm, smooth, quiet, comply like your in you family room

I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox and noticed the ticking noise and car shaking . I noticed a little over a year ago when it's time for an oil change car would act this way and car was fine until couple weeks ago engine light never came on to warn me and started shaking and knocking again. I had to put 3 quarts of oil in it and noise won't go away and out of warranty with only 34,000 miles. These cars are junk, and GM should do something with such little mileage and have this problem. Totally disgusted and will never buy a Chevy again.

10

Guru5 I have the same issues with my 2013 Equinox. First and Chevy I’ll ever buy. I’ve put thousands of dollars in repairs into it. My Equinox left me stranded 2 days ago. Engine issues. Oil does not last between oil changes. I get maybe 1000 miles out of oil before my engine start knocking. Total crap. I pay 543 a month. With monthly repairs it’s putting me in the hole.

To Jamnblues: wholeheartedly agree with you. I had a mechanic back in the early 80s who use to buy 1959 Chrysler 300Cs at auction because that was the car he drove. He just used the cars for parts and his car was still running great into the early 90s when I moved out of the area. That was over 30 years with the same car. Try that 2day. BTW: Got 20 mpg on his trips to FL from PA.

Our daughter has a 2013 Equinox. Where to begin.... First of all let me say it was a piece of junk when she bought it and the Chevrolet dealer at Gentry’s Chevrolet knew it. It uses oil like no body’s business. The rear main seal went out and we got that fixed. Four months later while coming down our driveway it just quit. No matter what you tried nothing would work. Had two different machanics tell us the timing chain broke. It was towed back to the dealership because we were told They were going to fix it. Well 18 weeks later the piece of junk is still there. NOT FIXED! Words of advice DO NOT BUY A CHEVY EQUINOX WITH A 2.4 LITER ENGINE!!