how do i turn on the interior lights to go on automatically for my hyundai santa fe

100

Asked by May 13, 2013 at 05:45 PM about the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe

24,645

There should be a "Door" Setting in the area that I outlined in the pic below. In the "Door" position, lights will come on when you open the doors OR use the remote to unlock the doors.

100

thank you for your response - unfortunately i have a santa fe 2013 - and there's nothing there that looks like that....

24,645

Sorry I couldn't help ....maybe someone else here with a 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe can help ya! I thought the photo above WAS from the interior of the 2013 model...Guess Not.. Check your Owner's Manual..it should tell you exactly how to do this.

100

well - i did check the manual - and i guess they don't want you to wear down the battery - but - i wanted this feature to work regardless. When i open up the car, i want the lights to go on automatically in the interior.....shouldn't be that hard right???

24,645

It REALLY should be very simple and easy to find while seated above your head ...and then up and to the center (like in the last pic I showed)...BUT I've never driven a Hyundai (or any Korean car for that matter)...Guess they design it differently. I DO understand how keeping that switch in the "ON" position can be an issue in other cars...I have a sneaking suspicion that the designers of that switch are in cahoots with battery manufacturers....LOL! Unless someone HERE can address your question....Try a Hyundai Owners online forum group and ask your question there...I'm sure they will be able to help! Good Luck with it! :)

100

thank you so much....i think you're right - i will try a Hyundai owners online forum - i'm sure i'll get an answer there - or else - sit down for a year and read the manual !!!!!

92,215

It's a 2013. Call your salesman.

24,645

Agree with tenspeed....Just call the Hyundai Dealer where you bought it from. If the Sales Rep doesn't know, someone in Service Dept. should be able to tell you over the phone where it is and how it works.

140

above your head between the map lights. There is a button marked "room" this will turn all the interior lights on and leave them on. Next to it is a button called "door" press on, lights will come on when the door is opened. Off they will not come on when the door is opened.

20

hard to believe people ask questions and harder to believe other people answer with absolutely no knowledge about the problem or the specific vehicle......HELLO...visit you car dealership service department and ask them, ya think?

20

This sounds like a political debate rather than an automotive question and answer! I recently purchased a 2010 Santa Fe and the front interior light would not come on when opening the driver's door. There is a switch that you press in the dome light assembly above the driver or passenger that says DOOR. It may be different on other year models. If you press the light switch beside this door switch and the light comes on, ,then the bulb is OK . Hyundai has a problem with these lamp assembly's and they recommend replacing the whole lamp unit which is easy to do. If you flip down the glasses compartment, there are 2 Philips head screws holding the unit to the roof. Remove those screws and pop the unit out. Turn the lamp over. If you've bought a new lamp, then remove the connectors and replace it and reinstall . Easy! Now if you're Scottish like me. I would rather repair something than buy a new one. If you look closely at the reverse side of the lamp beside the door switch, there is a small diode soldered there. This is usually the cause of failure. It can be tested by putting a jumper wire across the two solder joints at either end of the diode which is about 3/4 inch apart . With the drivers door open touch the solder joints on either side of with the jumper wire. If the light comes on , the diode is at fault. This diode can be replaced and I had mine repaired by a radio guy for $10.00. Hope this helps!

60

I had the same problem on my 2010 Santa Fe. When front door is opened, the rear dome light comes on OK but the front light does not work. Based on comments I saw on the internet, I assumed that the diode in my overhead light asm had blown. So I did the following: 1) Removed the overhead light asm by removing 2 Phillips screws, then pulled asm down from ceiling & unplugged cable. 2) Removed electrical board from overhead light asm by removing 4 Phillips screws and unsnapping 2 black plastic tabs. 3) Soldered another diode right next to the existing one (I did not bother removing the old one). I made sure that diode orientation is the same (i.e.- silver bar is on the same side of both old & new diode) 4) Reattached electrical board to overhead light asm. 5) Plugged cable back in, and replaced the overhead light asm. This fix worked like a champ! Total repair time = 30 minutes. Total cost = $2.02. I bought 10 relatively beefy diodes from Amazon.com, and now I have 9 spares. For the exact diode that I used, so to Amazon.com and search for B009IN1KB8.