How do I get interior lights to turn off with the hatch open?

50

Asked by May 02, 2014 at 10:44 AM about the 2013 Ford Edge

I went to the drive inn with my kids and the lights would not turn off inside. I had to jimmy a fake shade with blankets to not disturb the movie. I want to take the kids again, but I don't want to deal with the same problem.

135

Shut the hatch. There's a sensor in the lift gate for it, and whenever it's opened, the interior lights should turn on. Same thing with doors, I believe as well. Hope this helps somewhat.

50

thanks for the reply but if we're at the Drive Inn Theatre we want to view the movie from the back of the car with the hatch open. I had a Tahoe that had a button i could push to turn off interior lights when doors were open. I cant find that function with the Ford Edge and I've gone through the manual book too

135

I definitely know where your coming from. I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee sport and my dad and I did that when I was little. There used to be a light that came on after you opened the lift gate, and we just unscrewed the lightbulb, and then when we were done, just put it right back in.

90

I had the exact same problem lastnight. I was at the drive in with my kids and the light wouldn't go off, but I figured it out!! I had to make the hatch think it was latched with it being open. To do this, I rotated the latching mechanism on the hatch. Basically you have to mimic what the hatch would do if it were actually closed and latched. Just remember to hit the unlatch button to get the latching mechanism in the correct position and then close the latch.

30

In my 2010 Edge I had the same issue. However as long as my headlights were off, key out of ignition and the hatch was up, the lights will turn off after 10-15 minutes. They will turn back on if you open doors. To go to the drive in and hear the sound we just brought a radio along.

10

Ok I did this and now I can't close my back hatch!! Help

50

we go to the drive in frequently in our Edge. we have it down pat now. we go to the fusebox on the driver side near the floor. we pull out fuse number 9 (we have a 2010 so you would need to check your owners manual for the specific fuse for your model). we still have the radio for the sound without the lights. takes less than 2 minutes to pull off cover and pull fuse. then while we are cleaning up and repacking the car we take another two minutes and put the fuse and cover back. easy peasy.

30

My Ford Explorer rear interior lights would not turn off when the car was on to play music at the drive in with the hatch open. Push the hatch down so the like hook taps the part in the car so it thinks the hatch is closed then pull it up. You're trying to trick the car to think it's closed when it's not. The lights should be off now!

The latch trick worked on our 2007 Freestyle as well drive In success

30

I have a 2008 Ford Edge . All you need to do is remove fuse #9 works like magic the lights go off !!

V

10

When me and my friends go in her 2011 escape we make sure the lighta are set to auto. then get all set up with blankets and the bunch. and there a dial on the left side of the steering wheel. Spin that baby as far down as it will go and the lights should turn off in a matter of seconds!! hope that helps

So I'm having the exact opposite issue, my lights won't turn on without pressing the buttons & I haven't the slightest idea as to why! The switch is set to auto. I have a 08 ford escape

20

It's infuriating because it's something so simple I've never heard of a car that does not have this "feature". My '13 has an issue where regardless of how hard you close it, the driver door shows as its not closed and my "door ajar" sensor won't shut off. Since this new "tech savy" vehicle doesn't have the option to shut off the interior light I've had the battery die on me 4x already. Funny because my '83 Honda didn't have power steering, power windows, but I could shut the interior light. That's why hate buying American. Biggest patriot there is, but this country cannot make a car for its life. Never had problem with Honda Toyota Acura infinity etc that I've had, but first Ford and it's a trainwreck. Blue tooth doesn't work, USB port doesn't work and they only provide one (can get bare bottom Kia and they have 4), can't get door ajar light off, and can't shut interior light. That's just off top of my head and it's much worse.

10

Aw man thank you . I thought I was crazy. I like the car but I'll never buy a car again without seeing if I can shut off the interior lights. And I can't get my Bluetooth to pick up my iPhone or note 5... this is a 13 Fiesta

20

Yep, unfortunately the engineers at Ford are clueless. This is the newest vehicle Ive ever owned and I've never had so many simplistic problems in my life. And try calling Ford or bringing it to a dealer......good luck because they're no help either and quite often say "well that's strange" and "that shouldn't be happening" but then ask you to pay a fortune to get it fixed. First, and last, Ford vehicle. I can guarantee that.

20

For my 2013 Edge, its Fuse #12 (the first 15 amp down the left side of the panel) however I dropped it twice trying to get it back into place. The first time, I was able to get it back but its lost after the second time..now I have to buy more fuses just so I can keep the hatch open while camping. Seriously, WHO designed this vehicle?

Just walk further away from the vehicle with your key nob in your pocket, wait a couple of minutes and then come back and all the interior lights will be off. Duh!

All lights off with the lift gate open on a Kia Sorento 2012. I opened the lift gate. Then pressed the locking latch mechanism in the center up , two times until it was all the way locked. The lights went out in about 1 minute. To close the lift gate I went to the drivers door and pressed the lock, then unlock bottoms. Then closed the lift gate. All worked fine.

Anyone know how to do this (get interior lights to go off with hatch open) in a Kia Sorento? I've tried everything suggest except pulling the fuse and nothing has worked. Guess it may be time to figure out which fuse, but the owner's manual says that "overhead console lamp" is in an "instrument cluster" that also includes AC controls and several other things I'd rather not mess with. Better to just remove the light bulbs, I'm thinking. Suggestions??

I have a 2012 Edge that the interior, parking and headlights will randomly come one while parked. Something is draining the battery resulting in a dead car 3 times now. Sometimes you hear the noise that it is being unlocked and everything comes on even when nobody is unlocking the car. Anybody have any ideas? Because the dealer doesn't

20

Donna, Without knowing more about the issue, my money would be the faulty "Door Ajar" sensor in one of the doors (most likely the driver's side but it can affect any door). This is an issue that has plagued many 2010-2013 Edge owners (a quick Google search will reveal a few other forums) and the symptoms include drained batteries, random alarms and interior lights staying on. Another symptom is that the self locking feature when moving will not function. Ford refuses to deal with the issue and in April of this year (in the USA), a class action lawsuit was filed against Ford (see here: https://mccunewright.com/ford-edge-lock-failure/). If in Canada, I have filed this issue with Transport Canada but they are too busy posting selfies to assist with this issue (and Ford has very blatantly told me that I should deal with it myself (cost $450 USD to fix).

It's unfortunate that there are no recalls on the interior light issues, door ajar issues, accuator problems, et. al. I'm disgusted and just want to drive the damn thing in the river and drown it. I love everything about my 2013 Ford Edge and now all of a sudden all hell is breaking loose on it.. literally. I had to remove the 12 fuse as well under the steering column to get my lights to go out at all. I took my car to an air conditioner professional an they wanted to charge me nearly a 1000.00 to fix the condenser as he said, 'something hit your car underneath and damaged the radiator and condenser.' He failed to put the grill back on the car properly and there's no damage to anything but a small dent in my radiator that WAS NOT there before. Makes one wonder just how honest people truly are. I will NEVER own another FORD anything. And PS.. Guru9NGLJ .. no just no... .Your answer is asinine. DUH! :/

Sooo....Jeanie.....You have a Ford Edge that you love....BUT you had to take it to an air conditioner professional? They told you that something hit your condenser and radiator? WHO decided that nothing hit the radiator or condenser???? Because of this "professional" you wont buy another Ford?????