I have a 2013 Ford Edge , it has a smell of burning rubber or wiring when the air is on cool. Have taken it to dealer but they can't pin point problem.

10

Asked by Sep 17, 2013 at 07:13 PM about the 2013 Ford Edge

21,085

some heat built up in wiring and newer materials will vapor aroma till newness wears off , or expect a recall in a few months

10

We have had the car for a year now, smell just started in last month.

25

I have a 2013 Ford Edge almost a year old having 17000 KM on odometer, having the same problem only since 2 months. At higher acceleration it smells for few seconds really bad inside cabin. Last week taken to dealer workshop, advised by the technician to leave the car for 3/4 days to check to fix. But could not leave the car due to busy schedule, but planning to go coming weekend. Already a pre guess of bad PTU seal could be the reason.

I have the exact same problem with my new ford edge. Don't smell the burning rubber or wiring when ac placed on recycle. Dealer said it was a new car smell and would go away in time. Will continue to monitor as I think it's more serious than a new car odor.

40

There is a defect with ford edge that part of exhaust is induced into the cabin though a valve in the rear of the car.Don't keep quite and make noise or take legal action.Ford cannot fix the problem l yet and though still selling the car with this defect

50

I have had this burning smell after accelerating for two months after I bought the car. I have taken the car in 4 time and still nothing. I will be calling the dealership tomorrow about the problem again. Now I not only have the burning smell while driving, but I have a burning smell when I turn off the car.

10

I have a 2013 Edge and just recently started smelling gas fumes in the cabin of the car my Edge has 14,000 miles on it and while driving on the interstate a few months ago my car just lost all power, had to coast to edge of highway, and after setting on side of the road, started up again. Would be interested to know if anyone has experienced these problems....I have had this car to dealer 3 times now and they say can't find any problems and computer not showing the shut down.

100

I have a 2011 Edge and I have had a burning smell for awhile- It is very strong upon acceleration. I get very light headed, dizzy and extremely tired- to the point of almost passing out when this happens. It usually takes anywhere from 1/2 hour to an hour before this happens. It wasn't until very recently, I can positively prove my "symptoms" are caused by my car. When I took my car in for ac problems, they said the burning smell was caused by a burned out cooling fan and they replaced the fan. The problem has NOT gone away and I actually DID pass out- fortunately I was at a traffic light. I have been researching this issue and this has been a problem with the Edge since 2007. Has anyone had any physical "symptoms" after smelling the burning odor?

40

I have had the same issue. Feeling very tired after I smell the odor. From some of the other post I have read they say it could be a seal called a PTU. Apparently a common problem on the edge.

20

I just brought back my Edge to the dealer for the same ugly smell in the cabin. They said that its a common problem with Edge and Explorer and need modification on exhaust system. Good thing is its free of charge. Now my edge is with the dealer shop and expected to complete the modification in 1.5 days. Hopefully it fix the problem. By the way, im in Dubai, UAE and drove my edge about 11000Km.

40

Wire burning smell in our 08 Edge limited coming from vents with the heater on especially after getting off the freeway&also black tar looking leaks in driveway, mostly in colder weather. They replaced PTU seal. Within few weeks no smell but more leaks. Entire PTU needs replaced now. Worried more after hearing its still happening with 2013s. Ford owners speak up-should be a recall.

100

My problem was a carbon monoxide leak coming thru the ac vents. Ford still cannot or will not fix the problem, I had to pay for expensive experimental fixes which did not work. Ford completely turned their back to me. It is cheaper for them to pay a wrongful death suit ( me, being the dead one) than it would be to fix it. I had to dump the car. I now drive a Toyota and will NEVER buy another Ford product.

10

We are currently experiencing a horrid smell coming through the vents. It causes headache, dizziness, sore throat. Found out today is most likely a heater core leaking antifreeze through my vents.... we've had this in 4 times in the last two months. Inhaling antifreeze can cause eye irritation (my left eye has been twitching for the last two weeks) and my sinuses are junk! This is a 14 Edge bought new in 15 with only 18k miles, still under full warranty and have gotten nothing but arguments from the dealer on it! They can fix it or but it back!! It's going back in Thursday....

10

I had this same problem on my 2011 ford edge 60K mile. The smell was worst...first time the dealership said they cannot reproduce the smell, i was like are you kidding me.. Then next day my wife took it again and it always smells bad when i come of the exit from high way..Long story short, PTU was replaced ($100) but still i have that smell coming our during high acceleration...don't know what to do( not bad as before)..curse of ford edge!!

I have the same problem with my 2013 Edge. Ford would not admit that I had a problem then told me about a Technical Service Bulletin, issued in October 2014, that could fix the problem They wanted $440, but then did the fix for free. Problem is still there--maybe worse than before.

100

It's an exhaust leak with carbon monoxide. It comes from the AC but they attempt to make repairs from the rear exhaust. They don't know how to fix it and they won't pay to try to fix it either. The only fix is to get rid of the car or you will have to pay for many attempts at repairs that don't work. Ford knows all about this but won't do anything about it- It is a design flaw and the Explorer has the same problem. Ford was sued and just settled the lawsuit for the Explorer (Google it). Edge owners are just out of luck tho, cuz Ford won't stand behind their product and only the Explorer owners (only in FL) are getting any kind of compensation. I had to dump mine and bought a Toyota at Car Max!

I purchased the 2013 Ford Edge in October and it is practically impossible to sit in the car when driving due to the smell of exhaust in the cabin.

You may want to take your home carbon monoxide detector in to your car to test it.

10

I had this problem six months ago and took it twice to ford dealership (2011 edge). Both the time they were not able to detect the problem. Third time I drove the ford service along with me on the high way and proved him that the smell is coming from the car, once it is idling in the ramp signal. They replaced the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) seal and it was covered under manufactured guarntee and paid $100. The smell took at least a month or two months to go away completely and its not a overnight fix..

I have a similar issue. 2013 ford edge sport with 160,000 km. Not sure if I should take my edge to a mechanic or Ford?? trying to stay away from ford as they will only rip you off. spoke to mechanic over phone and he said it was probably the catalytic converter, but I don't think so because the car has great power and no chugging. ideas?

10

THERE IS A TSB ON THIS ISSUE THERE ARE SEVERAL CHECKS THAT NEED TO DONE, ONE IS THE REPROGRAMMING THE HVAC MODULE, THE OTHER IS CHANGING THE EXHAUST SYSTEM THAT IS MODIFIED