why is check engine light test not covered underwarranty if the vehicle is brand new?

Asked by Apr 14, 2012 at 02:30 AM about the 2012 Subaru Forester

12,005

The repairs should be covered if there is an issue. Its up to the garage how they determine what the issues are. If your check engine light is on they should have to repair the issue and reset the condition.

295

Because a code pull is not a repair, so its not covered.

75

got to a parts store they have computers to check what code was thrown then take it to the shop and tell them what code it was

295

That doesn't always work with new cars. you can have a generic code given to you and that will only tell you where to start, but with most new cars the dealer will tell you what is wrong.

@ Edward, sure if you trust the dealer and you don't fit the description as of a dumb car owner or female....it may cost many $$$ just for the search or for them to go through the process of elimination. Had a friend bring his car in for a routine service ($250 service). They said the check engine light was on and when it was all said and done, $1850. What was it? The battery.

45

That is not the dealer foalt. They are ther to help not to make problems. How can you say dumb car owner or female? I work at the dealer and many pepole like that ther is a female ther to help. You are the one ho has a problem. Hope you get well soon. :-)

295

@MarcB1 where in my post did i say to let the dealer do any kind of work on your car or his or any ones. You fall into that category of person that is so fucking stupid they can't read a post the right way nor can they understand what is trying to be said. So I will say this so even people like you can understand, if you have a newer car (06 and up), they tend to have very advanced code systems, and the only systems that can really read codes like this the right way are factory systems that they get at dealers, or the very very expensive code pullers you see at a lot of shops and thats because they use nifty little cards that have the dealer system codes on them. So in fact all i am saying is that it is a very good idea to go to the dealer and get codes pulled so you can know just whats going on over just getting the very generic codes you get from 90% of the code pullers out there. It just helps to not waste hours and hours trying to find a problem when there is a diagnostic system that is built into every new car. Now to answer the posters question on why a check for a check engine light is not covered is because dealership shops do need to make money somewhere. Now say your engine light says there is something that is going to be 2k-3k to fix and it is 100% covered the dealer is out that money so the 100-200$ is takes to pull a code isn't all that bad. But factory code pulling systems are always going to be the best to use to get a code and know whats really going on with your car. And most of them you can find and put them on your windows computer, macs tend not to work because the systems aren't built to run on them.

45

Thats wrong. The dealer I woork at, do warrenty cover this as loong as the is warrenty on the car. I work with Subaru warranty and have not had any problems with my clients. As long as there is a manufacturing fault, and the customer does not have even blamed for what has happened, this costs nothing for my clients. In Norway, three years warranty on 2006Forester, and 2 years consumer purchase law. Good luck with the car and hope this is resolved for you. Sorry if I miss understood you. But mixing in women and stupid people are quite provocative. People should be able to trust his workshop. And get the help they need. Happy new year :-)