radiator fan running high

490

Asked by Feb 10, 2017 at 08:06 PM about the 2012 Ford F-150

120,275

Is the engine hot? If so the fan is doing its job.

490

no, the temperature is normal

120,275

The fans should come on at preset temperature and then cycle off once the fans cool things down a bit. Are the fans coming on and off or do they stay on all the time?

490

only 50,000 miles on it. also the heater is blowing cold air.

490

the fan gets loud after about 15 minutes of driving. it has never done this before.

120,275

If you have a clutch fan the clutch is probably bad. The heater problem may be a bad thermostat or air in the system.

490

both symtoms seemed to be linked because they began at the same time.

120,275

If the engine is running hot the fan will come on more. Maybe you should service the cooling system.

24,510

Is the fan electric? If so it could be a defective pressure switch on the AC compressor.

220

I have a f- 150 2013. Both cooling fans run all the time after 160 degrees. They changed the water pump. Then the shit started. Before that they never kicked on

110

I have the same issue. I HAVE to turn my car off to go through drivethrus. Its embarassingly loud, my wife says she can hear me coming. Father in law even commented on it. Didn't do this in the beginning but now that fan runs so hard. Took it to the dealership. They say some wire on the fan burnt out.

190

I have the same issue as well. I have a 2012 Ford F150 Fx4. There is a fan noise coming from my engine compartment that is really loud. The fan kicks on and off. Also when I am stopped or moving really slow my truck is blowing cold air even though I have the theromstat set on heat. Spectrum_7968 did you ever figure out what was wrong with your truck?

160

Sams issue. 2013 fx4. Fan running fast and when the heat is on cold air. Started yesterday. Any answers?

190

I think we have narrowed it down to a coolant leak but we haven’t taken it to the shop to find the leak yet. But we are having to add coolant every week to the truck.

10

have been having the same problem with 2011 F-150 Platinum. Mechanic said coolant was low. topped off and reset the system. So far so good. Did not identify any leak but will have to keep an eye on it.

50

I have 2012 F150 XLT just had the same problem start happening. Heater will not blow hot air unless I rev up to 3000 RPM or so at stop light. Goes back to blowing cold air when going in 30-40 MPH traffic. Some loud auxiliary fan is coming on. Will have to check coolant and system. Thanks. I will get back here about this.

50

Humm Yea added 1 3/4 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze into the plastic coolant reservoir. Heater works, did not hear the loud auxiliary fan on the way to work. BTW I am found out in old school again. The only way to add water/antifreeze now is through the plastic coolant reservoir? OK I guess. Now to find the leak.

I’ve got a 2012 FX4 5.0, with a performance Tune, but the last few days I’ve noticed my coolant temp getting in the 230° range and a fan kicking on. Then today while driving home the temps reached up to 240°, going in tomorrow to get the coolant system check. Hopefully it solves the problem.

10

Exact thing happening with my 2013 150. Fan kicks on, won’t blow hot when stopped or driving at a low speed. Anyone have a solid answer?

130

I changed my thermostat and about a week later the cooling fan started coming on intermittently at high speed. This is in 0 deg weather. One post talked about resetting the system. More about that please.

70

I am having the same issue, the cooling fan comes on and stays on at high speed. I took it to the dealership and had it serviced and they said it was coming on because I was running the defrost. The temperature has been In the 20s all week, but now is a Saturday and it is 70° outside and now my AC does not blow cold air. Any ideas?

30

The AC High Pressure Switch (Behind RF Headlight On A 2013 F150 Towards Middle)Could Be Bad. Have To Monitor It With A Scanner. Pressure Shot Up To 425psi, when AC Was Shut Off Pressure Would Drop Real Slow, So Fan Would Stay On High Unless You Switched It Off. Ours Was Actually .5 lb. Low Charge. Compressor Is A Little Noisy & Ford Appears To Be Using Expansion Valve Instead Of A Tube. This Thing Seemed To Straighten Up With Just A Charge. So I Guess We Will See!!

@TheJamster1 Have you had any problems since the charge?

I have the problem with my 2013 f150 unhooked the ac switch and fan stoped have check Freon level next hope its a easy fix.

Mine is in the shop now with over 300psi and they don't know why... and my cooling fan runs pretty much all the time. Mines also a 2013 F150

130

I still have the issue. When I get home I can bleed off the pressure and air from the reservoir. It helps for a while but the fans start kicking on again after a day or 2. I see a lot of posts describing similar issues but never any fixes. Has anyone tracked this down?

They said mine was .7lbs low and recharged mine and it has been fine since Thursday. I did have a coolant leak but got it fixed, i thought that was why my fan was running. Fan still ran so it brought it back in the shop... they are baffeled and don't know why or how the pressure got so high sitting still and with the A/C off

Having the same problem with my 2011 Expedition. Fan starts going on and off, very loud after driving about 10 minutes. Heater blows cold when driving very slow or stopped. Did anyone figure out what the problem is? Please help.

I've heard its because of a coolant or freon leak!

30

I have read all the posts going back a year here. I have a 2012 F-150 4x4 V8 with 67K miles and live in South Florida where I hardly ever need to use the heat. My fan kicks on into the loud high gear when the temp gauge gets slightly left of center. (There are no numbers on my gauge) The fan speed will not go back to normal speed. I have to turn off the truck and after it cools, it will go back to the normal speed until I start to drive more and the temp gors up. I have driven this truck in S Florida for all of the 67K miles and this has never happened before. I know that because it is so loud that it is unmistakeable. Most of you posters seem to live in areas where you need the heat on a lot. Mine heat has only been on a few times. Has anyone had a resolution yet? Thanks

30

We are having the same issue with our 2013 F150. The fan runs high when the AC is on and When the AC is off. When the heat is on the fan does not run high. Looking for suggestions that don't involve paying outrageous amounts of money to the dealer mechanic.

10

what is the right pressure of Freon gas ??,,Sorry

10

FYI I replaced P. switch no change still fan kicking ..

20

Just started having this issue with my 2013 f150 plus a whine that reminds me of low power steering fluid

Same thing happened with my 2012 F-150 FX2, fan have been running high these past few days. A friend at work my air filter must be need to replaced and so I did and checked the coolant reservoir and it looks empty then I noticed some fluid leaking at the water pump. Is there anyone knows about any service bulletin regarding this issue?

Same problem here, fan kicks on high and is very loud. I have had water pump replaced once and upper radiator hose replaced. Still is losing water without any sign of a leak. heater blows cold when stopped.2012 f150

30

I was having the same problem with my 2011 F-150 lariat limited. Nobody seemed to know what was the cause. ( Here's what fixed mine diy) elevate the front of your truck remove radiator cap ( when cool) as well as reservoir cap, add antifreeze to radiator until full, start truck let idle until warm, squeeze radiator hose, add fluid. Repeat for about 15 mins. This will remove and air from the system. Also I charged my account will a stop leak Freon. My AC was good, but from what I have gathered it could be something to do with the pressure in the lines or something, did those two things and have had no problems with any of the issues, it's been a week now. COST WAS $40

Fan started running high in swfl while using air conditioning. Drove to Michigan and with colder, much colder weather fan was running high constantly. Heat is working good incab but the interior air flow keeps shutting Had mechanics check with computer system, nothing wrong. Going to change thermostat and try to get air out of hose. One part was 178 degrees and down the line was only 78 degrees. Hope this will clear up the problem.

Will change ac sensor

180

I’ve looked at a few of these forums trying to figure out why my radiator fans on my 2013 Ford F-150 (3.5 EcoBoost) have been running on high the past few weeks. The short of it: the expansion valve in the AC system was bad. For the longer story, I noticed that the fans came on high about three weeks ago. Also, to save people the trouble of reading all of this if they’re having coolant (antifreeze) problems: it ended up having to do nothing with the coolant level on mine (so if you know you’re having trouble with that, then this may not be helpful). Anyway, the temperature was warmer than it had been in a while (low to mid 70’s), so I thought it may have just been that. What struck me as odd though is that they were running on high for my entire 15 minute trip, from the time the truck started cold until I finished the trip, with engine temperatures being completely within normal ranges the entire time. I’m not an expert mechanic, but I knew that having the AC on will sometimes make the fans run, so I turned the AC off towards the beginning of the trip, but the fans still ran on high the entire time. The next few times I drove the truck, I noticed the same thing: radiator fans were running high almost immediately after startup. However, I then noticed that if I did not cut the AC on when I first turned the truck on and never turned it on during the trip, the fans would never come on. However, as soon as I cut the AC on, the fans would run on high the rest of the trip even if I turned the AC back off. This would also include if I was running the heat/defroster but had the AC compressor on (as it kicks on automatically with the defroster). If I turned the truck off and turned it back on without running the AC after turning it back on, most times the fans wouldn’t cut back on (although on warmer days they would occasionally still kick back on). I also noticed on a couple warmer days that the AC wasn’t working very well, so thinking it might be low on Freon, I added some, but both problems (the fans running and the AC not being very cold) remained. After doing some internet research, I thought it might have been a bad high-pressure sensor, the one located behind the passenger side headlight on the high pressure line. I also noticed that if the fans were running high, I could unplug the sensor, and the fans would shut off within a few seconds. If I plugged it back in, then the fans would kick back onto high. My understanding for this was that the truck was getting a high pressure reading off of this sensor when it was plugged in. In order to reduce the pressure, the truck would run the fans on high. When the sensor was unplugged, the truck would shut down the AC system as a safety measure, but since the AC system was shut down, the truck had no reason to run the fans anymore, and it turned them off. This also allowed me to rule out it being a stuck relay just causing the fan to run for no reason. Also, if the system (with the sensor plugged in) detected that the pressure was far too high to kick the compressor on anymore, then the compressor wouldn’t come on (the fans would still run) and no cold air would come out (which I noticed on warmer days). Long story short, I changed the high pressure sensor hoping that was the problem. Nope…still had the exact same behavior. Knowing that the sensor was good (and the plug too as it could tell the difference between being unplugged and when it was getting a high reading), I did some more research. I found a couple of videos that were helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOPn8BQB0pw and https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=xBuAQuWezMY. I also bought an AC manifold gauge set in order to be able to read the high and low pressures. When I hooked it up, I saw my high-pressure side going really high (even with the fans on). After cutting the truck off and letting it sit, I saw the two sides not equaling out very quickly. I also talked to a buddy who looked up a TSB that indicated my problem was likely the expansion valve in the AC system. So, that was my diagnosis. I ordered a new expansion valve and put it in, vacuumed out the system, recharged it with the proper amount of Freon, and it works great. Than low speed radiator fan cuts on every now and then (as it’s supposed to) and drops the pressure down when it gets a little high, but the pressure comes right down to where it’s supposed to be (which it wasn’t doing before with the fans even on high). I’m not a mechanic by trade but like to work on stuff in my free time and to save money, so if anyone has anything to add or correct, please feel free. I mainly hope that this helps someone else who has the same problem. I’d also imagine that many other vehicles (besides just F-150’s) would likely have the same problem with their AC system and resultantly the radiator fans running on high (as I’ve seen some forums with the same problems on different vehicles).

2013 f 150 im having the same issue. Its only happening when im sitting at idle. Fans come on high and stay on until i start to move again. New water pump and cooling system recently serviced. No issue with the heat or air. If it wasn't so embarrassingly loud i wouldn't worry about it. Kind of at a loss...

2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost. Aux Fan coming on 15 seconds after startup intermittant AC. Turned out to be low coolant. I filled and AUX fan still came on. I checked and cleared codes no codes. Reflashed the computer with SCT and the truck starts AC works and no Aux fan. I had it at the dealer for this last summer and they couldn't figure it out.

20

2014 f-150 raptor. Fan is kicking while ac on, 15sec full speed running very loud then its stop for 30sec then repeat. When ac off the fan is running in high speed at 115 temp for 30sec then stopped, I don't know what's wrong with this car. It's happened when I tuned it with SCT Any solution??

No answer but with all these problems with the fans why no recalls? Mines a 2013 f150 just went over 50k miles and took it to dealer kept my truck for 28 hrs and told me they hadn't figured out the problem. Getting hotter out and fans running high and hot air blowing out of AC i think there should be a recall on all 2000 and over ford vehicles and have them fix the problem.

10

2013 f150 ecoboost and am having the same issue. Radiator fans run on high anytime the AC is on. They usually kick on within 10-15 seconds of turning the AC on and run about 90% of the time I'm driving. The only way to get the fans to shut down is to either 1) turn the AC off completely or 2) turn the truck off. I live in Houston so it is hot year round, but the fans still should not be running this high all of the time. Took it to the dealership last week and they think a coolant leak was causing the problems. replaced some parts on the turbo that had rusted out. Fans still running on high so coolant didn't seem to have any effect. This seems to be a common issue with 13 ecoboosts, but I know this isn't "normal" because a co-worker has the exact same truck and his radiator fan hardly ever runs on high. Going back to the dealership next week before my warranty runs out.

Just a heads up. My rad fan was coming on and I delayed getting it fixed, the pressure on one side of my a/c was super high. A/C clutch seized, took out the belt and idler and water pump and tore a hole in my front timing cover. (where the idler was mounted) Painful expensive repair, 2012 with 130km’s. You don’t want the bill I got, fix it early.

10

Following up on my post from last week. Dealership was useless. They said they checked the AC compressor switch and other AC components and said everything looks normal. They said the fans in these model F-150s were designed to kick on high speed in stop and go traffic and idling because of complaints on prior year F-150's AC not being cold enough. I don't buy it. Yes, the fans should run every now and then in hot climates, but saying this is "normal" to me sounds like Ford doesn't want to admit they screwed up the engineering on this. Even if it's normal operation, Ford should let people know what they can do to fix the issue due to the high number of complaints. I'd prefer to hear the engine and turbos on my truck rather than these obnoxious fans. I'm going to have to try and fix it myself since the dealership has been so worthless. Maybe I just have a bad dealership. They were supposed to fix a coolant leak but didn't even both to check or fix the leak at the connection on the outlet of the coolant expansion reservoir that everyone seems to have issues with. Funny enough, last night I installed a 5 star 87 octane performance custom tune, JLT oil separator, and a banks cold air intake on my truck and it seems like that may have cut down on the frequency and length of time that the fans kick on. Gonna keep an eye on it.