Is it advisable to tow a Toyota Tacoma Truck with all four wheels on the ground behind our Motor Home?

Asked by Apr 26, 2014 at 11:28 AM about the 2012 Toyota Tacoma

RV magazines are saying that it is possible to tow a Toyota Tacoma Truck with all 4 wheels on the ground (without a dolly) behind an RV, and that no damage will occur to your vehicle's drive train.  Is this accurate?  Does the truck need to be 4x4?  What else can you recommend?

140

The straight up answer is NO. When towing a vehicle, the drive wheels should not be on the ground, that is why sometimes you see people tow with 2 wheels off the ground, this allows the non-drive wheels to roll freely and the drive wheels remain in lock position off the ground. Anytime the drive wheel is rolling, the drive shaft is spinning the transmission and this can cause internal damage to your transmission gears, which is very bad and expensive to fix. The only time that people tow all four wheels on the ground is when they have disengaged all the drive wheels from the drive shaft, which require some special modification on the vehicle itself prior to towing, consult with your mechanic or dealer. In your case, you have a Tacoma, which is a rear wheel drive truck, you can tow it with the rear wheels off the ground only and make sure you have the steering wheel locked in a straight position so it will not turn while towing which may cause your truck to turn wildly, similar to driving on reverse and turn the steering wheel. Your other option is get under the truck and remove the U-joints and the drive shaft, that that alone require a lot of work. Good luck.

230

The above is not an accurate answer since there are way too many variables to cover in one reply. Today many vehicles both automatic and standard are able to be towed with all four wheels down. Plus many 4x4's and most standard shift cars can be put in neutral and towed. Saturn automatics where very popular in the past with Motorhome owners and low mileage ones are still around. Today Honda, Cadillac, Chevy, Buick and many others make Automatic cars that can be towed four down. Most vehicles have this information in the owners manual but Remco is company that builds kits for most vehicles that allow them to be towed and if a specific kit is not needed to tow with all four down, then they will say so in their website. Check the Remco site and Motorhome magazine website to find the details. Hope this helps.

20

I had a REMCO LP3 installed on my 1999 Lexus RX300. After 5 transmissions I gave up! John

140

Just bought a 1999 Toyota sr5 4x4 5 speed does anybody know if I can flat tow the truck behind my motorhome ?it's a manual transmission with locking hubs

90

I just called Toyota about flat towing a 2006 Manual Transmission Toyota Tacoma. They said...NO...none of their trucks (including manual transmissions) can be flat towed. However, all of their manual transmission passenger vehicles can be flat towed..

80

I have seen many first generation Toyota Tacoma's towed behind motorhomes. Remco say's you can as long as you put the transmission in neutral and same with the transfer case.

60

I have a 2012 tacoma, 5 speed manual, 2 wheel drive, 2.7 4 cylinder. I have flat towed over 10,000 miles behind my motorhome. All good so far.

140

I have a 2017 Toyota Tacoma and after reading all info tells me not to flat tow. So I removed the rear drive shaft not a big problem then when I put it into 4 wheel drive I can drive it just like a front wheel drive. To tow it I have to start the engine and put the transmission in neutral and shut the engine off. The only thing is the beeper beeps until we stop the I start it and put it in park. I will have to maybe find the fuse to pull to stop the beeping.

50

We had a 2007 Tacoma 4 x 4 - 5 speed and flat towed it almost everyday for a year, no problems, even though Toyota told us not to.

40

I have a 200 Toyota Tacoma Pre runner 2 wheel drive with a auto transmission. I had a Remco driveline release installed. When I hook up the truck to the motorhome I start the engine, put the trans in neutral, shut engine off, put trans in park. I leave the key on acc, the beeping stops when I close the door. My unit set up to charge the battery on the truck from the motorhome. I make sure the radio is off. Towing is great. 12,000 miles, no problems. Tom

40

The above statement should show the truck as a 2003.

100

I have a 2019 Tacoma 4x4 that I flat tow. I installed a driveline disconnect. I put it in neutral and leave the keys in the truck and the Beeping will go away.

40

GuruX9RR3 Where did you find the driveline disconnect?

20

I have a driveshaft disconnect available for a 2009 double cab short bed 4x4

10

I disconnect the ground on the battery so don't add miles to the vehicle and it stops the beeping.

10

You could start the truck (4 cyl man trans) put it in neutral and let it idle while towing it, It burns about 0.3 gallons per hour at idle. A 2000 mile trip would cost about $30. if you towed at 65 miles per hour. I would check with Toyota to make sure that would properly lube the transmission.

Will your 2009 disconnect fit a 2006 short bed 4x4?

10

I have a 2015 Toyota Tacoma with an automatic transmission. Is it safe to tow it behind my RV, and does any preparation need to be done prior to towing?