What should I do?

185

Asked by Sep 09, 2008 at 11:23 PM about the 1996 Ford Mustang

I recently bought a 1996 Mustang Convertible with a V6 and I was kinda wanting to get some more performance out of it. Some of my research says that a supercharger wouldnt be much good due to the compression that engine already has in it. Does anyone have some ideas of upgrades I could do that would get me a noticable improvement and how much they might cost?

250

Do you're usual N/A modifications. Exhaust system, extractors, high flowed catalytic converter, pod filter with Cold Air Intake, and if possible, get the ECU retuned. No idea how much the stuff would cost, sorry. Be prepared to pay for decent quality stuff though, it often is worth the extra $$

185

Yeah I wasnt gonna skimp on quality to save money. I was wondering about cost so I have an idea how much I need to save up. Thanks for the advice. I did a little research and evidently the only way to get a turbo to work in that car is to pull a 3.8 from a TBird of the same year because they were built for a turbo but the 3.8 in the Mustang was not

250

Have you considered the possibility of running a thicker head gasket to lower the compression of the engine, so that you can safely run a turbo? It would save the hassel of doing an engine swap. Not sure what the compression of the mustang engine is, but yeah. Just something else for you to ponder. lol

185

Hadnt thought of it. THats a good idea tho.

155

change the underdrive pullies. This will gain you anywhere from 8-15hp. I don't know what they run for the V6, but a set for my 97 Cobra run around $120. Cold air intake wont gain you huge amounts of power, but is always good to have, they run around $150-200, again, I don't know for V6. Get a catback exhaust on it, should gain you a little. The big thing is to let the engine breath, the cold air and the catback exhaust help this. Exhaust should run you around $500, look for Flowmaster, or Magnaflow. You could look into nitrous(NOS), if it is installed correctly, and used wisely, you can get some decent gains from it, without harming the motor.

185

Thank you for the advice. I have been looking into the exhaust and actually found a kit that will allow me to put a cobra or GT exhaust under my car and it will give me 12-15% gains for only $80.

155

don't believe everything companies claim. A lot of times that is just marketing hype. What brand is that? It seems very cheap, to me. Is that the entire catback system? Or just mufflers? Stainless?

185

The kit is from Pacesetterexhaust.com. The kit is just an H-pipe. If I get it I will have to cut my Y-pipe and put this kit on at the cut. Then I can take a Cobra or GT exhaust of similar year and connect it to the H-pipe from the kit and put it all back together.

155

ok, I see. I have heard of that brand, don't know much about them. So, $80, plus the cost of the catback system. That will make the car sound a lot better with new exhaust.

185

Yeah I figured that for $80 it would be worth it especially since I have access to 2 sets of Cobra exhaust for free.

10

look up rebuild kits on the internet. i can't remember the exact site but they sell rebuild kits (forged pistons, rods, bearings i can't remember exactly what else, its been a while) for around 900 dollars and you can get them with the lower compression pistons to make it safer to run boost through the motor.

30

sell it and grab like a 90-92 GT

185

I would rather just keep my 96 convertible and upgrade that.

30

have fun dumping a lot of money into it and still being slow my mach 1 beat a 06 V6 on a 150 shot of nitrous. and those are 4.0 liters vs. your 3.8

185

So? Whats it matter. I am not turning this car into a racer. I am just looking to make it a bit faster. Plus I dont think it will take as much money as you think.

2,975

dont get pacesetter they are one of the worst exaust brands next to gibson. They will rust out quick just to worn you.

375

A supercharger wouldn't do much good.it would be better to just put a v8 in. If you put an intake and exhaust on you'll get a lot more power.if you still want more you can get a chip too. The next thing would be change your back gears.the difference is night and day. You'll be impressed .I did all those to my 02' v6 and smoked gts.( from the same yrs) good luck

265

find a 302 and put it in there or the 4.6 or whatever v8s came in those easiest power youll ever get

I would definetly sell it and get a V8, possibly even the Cobra Model. Why not get a Pontiac Trans Am or something with the LS-1 Engine in it? It will get larger gains

915

aight, so first off id get a new intake manifold and a good air intake....everything u do after that, like exhaust and such will be brought to its full potential, the most air u can get without a supercharger or turbo is very noticable, especially on the highway...also hands down start getting a chip tuner kit, popping in a performance chip and ignition system gave me 44 hp and 50 torque, and with chips under $250 its well worth it

915

also idk how savvy u r under the hood, but putting on some roller rockers and valve springs is a great way to maximize efficiency and get every last horse out of it, just make sure u adjust them right or it'll have the opposite affect

435

Be very careful how much extra HP you put into the car, you need to make sure that your suspension and axle can handle the extra HP and if you dump a crap ton of HP into it you may even bend the frame of the car. so take that into consideration when you buy the extra HP you may need to compensate in the other areas of the car as well.

345

The most annoying people on here are the ones that comment "Sell it" or "Swap the motor", you people are either: A- Immature idiots. B- Illiterate Idiots. Pick one.

95

cold air intake and catback exhaust and routine maintenance would be the best rout with little $$$$$$$. just my two pennies worth DONT SWAP THE MOTOR!!!! that will be very costly in the long run if ya do the exhaust and cold air you will improve the hp and gas milage

65

better plenum w/ tb spacer, vortexed if you can find one ungraded injectors fuel rail and pump. those 5 things above will be well under 1200$ new and you can expect ~=50whp

6,665

trevor....or they have done a lot of different mods on a bunch of different cars so they know what a waste of time and money it would be to mod certain setups.

345

Chase- Waste of time to them? Yes. Waste of time is personal opinion. Coming on here and telling people that they should change up their entire plan is just immature.

6,665

i disagree. many people are extremely misinformed on what sort of power they are going to get from aftermarket mods. in those cases it can be very helpful. imo its like taking dog crap and putting glitter on it....no matter how much glitter you add its still going to be crap.