What type of gas does the Chevy Cruze Lt need? Premium or regular ?

Asked by May 22, 2012 at 08:00 PM about the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze

Matt Hill

Its going to depend on which engine it has, it will also tell you in your owners manual and probably say something about it by the gas filler neck if it requires premium.

regular but you could use premium every now & then is good. the only thing running on premium today are caddys & high performance vehicles.

Matt Hill

The little turbo 4 cylinder engines in the eco cars are actually taking premium now due to the ammount of power they are getting out of the little engines. Another vehicle that takes premium is the v6 camaro.

Best Answer
Matt Hill

Oh one other thing its pretty much a waste of money to put premium or mid grade gas in a vehicle that only requires regular. Without getting into too much detail the car was programmed to run on regular and will be its most efficient with that fuel in it. Its also a bad idea to run regular in a car that takes premium because it will slowly destroy the inside of your engine and can make the tops of your pistons look like the surface of the moon with craters all over it.

Oh ok thx again. I'm trying to determine whether I should get the cruze or not. I like the safety aspect of it. Its between the Chevy cruze, Toyota corolla and Honda civic.

It will be my first car and I want something safe and reliable.

Matt Hill

All three are good vehicles I think the cruze has the potential to get better fuel economy than the other two if you are looking for that as well.

Kristina Dwyer

I don't trust any other grade of gas in my car yet. They say you should use Premium once per month to keep the fuel line clean and increase performance. My car is still a baby to me, so I keep to the Regular grade. I know what they said about the Cruze and MPG, but it'll get about 25 MPG average. They only way to make it more is to either have manual transmission or drive perfectly legal (you know.. brake easy, don't speed, correct PSI in all 4 tires, etc). :rolls eyes: Anyway.. I love my car. I used to have an Altima, but wound up in an accident last June and totaled it. The Cruze was always my first choice, but just started affording it lol.

i have a question with the 2014 eco automatic.. it says something about diesel but im trying to save on gas money thats the point of having an eco isnt it.... anyway my question is does it run on regular gas or diesel

Kristina Dwyer

Have to wait and see. There is a Cruze coming out that will be a TDI type of thing. Diesel fuel, better MPG. I haven't seen it yet, but I heard of it. If you have any questions of what type of fuel to use, refer to your owners manual. In the 2014 case, maybe Google it or look at the specs on the Chevy site.

Joey Zuraski

"Use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 87 or higher. If the octane rating is less than 87, an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a higher octane rating, the engine needs service." Chevy Owner's Manual - 2014 Chevy Cruze (universal manual).