1996 ford explorer

Asked by May 13, 2015 at 05:00 PM about the 1996 Ford Explorer

my ford explorer runs good with a miss in it. once it has been driven for awhile and turn it
off it wont start till it sits for awhile. so i replaced the coil pack. it still has a miss in it and
still doing the same thing, i also replaces the plugs. engine code comes up with a misfire
on 3 different plugs. i could use some suggestions on what could be the problem

7,745

are they the same wire with different packs

yes same wires

7,745

the wires will need changed

also when I go to high speeds I smell something it chugs yet has power

7,745

are the fluids all at the right levels and is anything leaking

I will try replacing wires

7,745

also clean the battery terminals and look for a broken ground lead

I think it might be catalac converta clogging up but what is causing it

will I have to replace cadilac converta or could it be some kind of sensor

7,745

the cc is filled with platinum which turns the CO2 to NO2 which is y they are so freakin expensive so I do not think that is your problem the only thing that goes through there I co2 and o2

8,300

A new set of motorcraft wires on there, first. clean or change the plugs again. Inspect vehicle for leaks or other repairs needed in a safety inspection. verify misfire gone. clear codes. road test. complete drive cycle. monitor for misfire..........retest codes. in that order. Thats what we would do.

8,300

If a catalyst was plugged there would be codes related to its cause, the engine would show evidence in basic tune up readings using simple test equipment. Engine compartment heat way above normal. hot smell, you can loosen exhaust to verify but tests are simpler.

7,745

but it would not be the cc if all that goes through there is air it might be some fluid leaking onto the cc or the exhaust manifold

the fluids are good not running hot

8,300

Floorboard hot enough to melt carpet, no output from tailpipe, false readings monitoring engine coolant temp circuit. engine vacuum drops steady till engine dies?

8,300

Then, no evidence of catalyst concern yet.

8,300

use high quality plug wires if you are going to keep that truck. change or clean plugs after these latest misfires. then, see if it resets a misfire code. if concern persists.... You may need compression test and, or, injector testing to verify they all work and not intermittent. fuel pressure test. etc.