I have an 84 Diesel Suburban. The breaks wont work at all. Is it the master cylander

Asked by May 07, 2012 at 03:44 PM about the 1984 GMC Suburban

I tried to stop the sub and the breaks hit the floor. I pumped them and I got breaks back.  Next day same thing but more often.  Third day no breaks at all!  they have not come back.   Master cylander is full but it looks like sludge.  I cleaned out the sludge, wiped everything down bled the breaks.  Breaks still do not work.  If I push them to the floor it kicks back a bit but I have no breaks.  No leaks no fluid usage.  Can it be a bad master cylindar?  

1,335

you said it had dirty fluid, might be something clogging up the master cyl, try to flush through clean fluid, its worth a shot

765

any brake fluid leaking at the wheels? could be the calipers or the brake line connections.

5

Repairing brakes on these trucks is not very expensive so it would be worth while to simply replace the master cylinder. After all, the truck is 28 years old.