My car starts up and runs great but when I put it in reverse or drive it shuts off

40

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 10:01 AM about the 2000 INFINITI I30

8,895

does it shut off in the 321 of PNRD321 or 21 on the dashboard

35,195

Might be a transmission shift solenoid (torque converter solenoid). It's causing the torque converter to engage at idle instead of a higher engine RPM causing the engine to stall.

13,490

does it happen when you push the brake to put the car in gear? if so,it could be a vac leak in the brake booster line. also a bad idle air control valve can cause this.

40

Yes when I push the break and put into any gear it shuts off, I was told it could be torch converter or silinoid idk just don't want to get wrong thing fixed

13,490

On some vehicles you can unplug the tcc solenoid. If you can unplug it and it "fixes" then the solenoid is bad. You can run the vehicle without it plugged in, you might sacrifice some gas mileage though.

40

Is there any simple way I can unplug it myself

13,490

Yes, it should just be an electrical connector on your transmission. You can probably google its location

35,195

Get your trouble codes scanned, you might be throwing a TCC solenoid related code. You could try unlocking the solenoid with some seafoam, mix it into the ATF and drive it for a while, then change the trans fluid. That'll degunk the trans but some might say that's a risky move, as freed-up gunk could now clog a filter. On the other hand, if you're going to all the trouble to unplug a TCC solenoid, you might as well just swap it out, it's a cheap part (~$50), you access it through a side-mounted pan on the trans, post your VIN and someone here can help you locate it specifically.

40

Car won't drive just starts up , should I try that method still ?

40

Vin #jnkca31a0yt213753 on information on location of tcc solinoid