what could cause your headlights to constantly go out? Whats the average life span of a headlight?

Asked by Aug 11, 2015 at 08:10 PM about the 2011 Subaru Tribeca

I have a 2011 subaru tribeca, and i am replacing the headlight bulbs about every 4-6
months.  I have had a complete diagnostic done on it, they found nothing wrong, but it
seems way excessive... anyone else have the same issue? Anyone that 'had' this issue
and doesn't any longer, please comment, besides getting a different vehicle, what
solutions are there?

20,505

Did you take your car to the Subaru dealership? I'm sure they could be more through in locating the problem. Sounds like a short in the electrical system. By the way, have you ever noticed any oil burning issues with your car on the H6?

20,505

Only reason I ask about oil burning is that Consumers Reports listed the Subaru H6 as an engine that typically burns oil. It was in their August issue.

20,505

I have a 2010 Subaru Outback Limited with the 2.5 and no oil problems.

68,665

Two things come to mind. When these bulbs are replaced you can't touch the glass part of the bulb. The oils from your fingers create hot spots on the bulb. This causes premature burn out. The other thing is a bad ground. Have the electrical connections checked. Has this vehicle been in an accident? HTH. -Jim

20,505

Hmm, are you replacing these lights yourself? I would think a good mechanic would know how to install these correctly without touching the bulbs with their bare hands, but, it's a good point to raise. If your mechanic is not up to the task, it's time to find someone else.

49,345

Have the charging circuit checked (alternator) to see if it is putting out excessive voltage. Excessive voltage is hard on bulbs.

no i have never been in any accidents, and i have contacted the subaru dealers and they have always replaced them, always under warranty. I had them do a complete check on the electrical and they said it was all just fine. They said that its common, im hoping that there is a solution for this, living in alaska, headlights are very important most of the year its dark lol

thanks Bob, i will have them check the charging circuit when i get my next oil change. thanks, i didnt think about that.

20,505

Wow, Alaska. I'll bet you have no problems negotiating snow in your Tribeca? SO, no oil burning issues either?