Engine turns over but stops as soon as key is released.

Asked by May 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM about the 1979 Mercedes-Benz 450-Class

Car has been garaged all winter - was driven in without a problem.  Battery was disconnected.  Now when we tried to start it, the engine turns over with no problem (radio works, etc) but the minute you let off on the key it stops.  Any ideas as to cause?

I'm going to go ahead and say that you ignition switch is not behaving itself~

here ya- go----you can thank me later~ ;http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx? sid=pzkjv1fzgzisxs45zcig2puk&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid= 1195039@450SLC&year=1979&cid=25@Ignition%20Parts&gid=4516 @Ignition%20Switch

Make sure the carb has fresh gas,may try a shot of ether....

You should test power to the coil with the ignition on...perhaps I am correct in calling out the ignition switch~

mine did same thing new swith no help