Regarding clutch handling in traffic & bumps

Asked by Jun 17, 2016 at 08:20 AM about the 2010 Hyundai i20

Hello,
I have recently bought TATA tiago.
I have learned car driving from a car institute a year ago. At that time i was
told to hold the clutch while turning, traffic & in bumps. I was said to hold
the clutch & use brake while turning. After turning release the clutch & use
accelerator to move the car swiftly. Recently when i went for servicing my
car  the service guy told me that i am using excessive clutch while driving &
told me to use clutch only while gear shifting. Is he saying right.
If yes then how to manage in traffic & bumps without clutch?
Please help me.

49,375

Using the clutch won't really hurt it. But frequently riding the clutch or excessive slipping of the clutch will cause it to wear out sooner. As you gain experience driving a car with a manual transmission your skills will improve to the point you won't have to think about it. Every situation is different and you will learn to adapt your clutch use.

22,725

When the car slows down to turn you don't need to hold the clutch in unless you are going so slow the engine starts to die- use it to shift gears only and to start from a dead stop-