central locking system problem

Asked by Apr 17, 2016 at 06:18 PM about the 1998 BMW 3 Series

I have been problems with instrument cluster and car not starting. I have replaced battery and alternator. I have had the car into five mechanics. every electrical connection, Tim dick and Harry things has been checked to my knowledge. I decided to leave the cluster for now as I was told it wouldn't do any damage. then today the front drivers door wouldn't open. I crawled in the passenger seat moved the drivers seat back to crawl over and tried the door from inside one more time it opened. off I went came back to the car. had not locked the car door would not open again. all the instrument panel lights had been going off again but I have just learned to ignore them. I went into a friends for lunch came out after 2 hours and car wouldn't start. unlike other times when the at did not turn over at ALL it still didn't turn over but now it makes a noise sounds like right behind the steering wheel. sort of a grinding sound. I have replaced so many parts I the car that it is almost like new but I'm at the point of almost ditching it.

12,385

If 5 mechanics have tired to service this vehicle now you have my interest! OK, so these guys checked for every possibly code along with the electrical circuit related to central locking ...does the key work to open the truck? the harness in the truck has been carefully checked Right? OK without diagnosing your car in person, my shot in the dark is to have the connectors / wiring harness under the drivers seat checked for corroded, broken wires grounding...is the vehicle a 328I? Finally the mechanics where using an ISIS / ICOM Factory scan tool Right?

I'm sorry. I was trying to respond directly using email. obviously didn't work. to clarify: the presenting issues in order over the past 2 years 1. car drives fine then I go to car after an hour stop and won't start no turn over. AAA jumps car fine 2 . drive car, no problems and then light on dash start going gay wire flashing sound like I left the key in the ignition warning. very random. but stops no apparent effect I driving. 3 continue driving get to destination. spend time making trips around friends area. 20 mile radius. no problem after driving one day go out to move car and dead . jump car drive to local mechanic. has car 3 days can't "repeat " problem charges me 200 I have a meeting I will continue saga

BTW. key does not open the trunk. I will add photos of work done on car over past 2 years

12,385

Ok, post them. which series 3??