How good are they???

Asked by May 28, 2008 at 08:56 PM about the 1997 BMW 3 Series

I have a BMW 323i 1997. does anyone know how long these particular models last, and how good are they?? Iv never owned a BMW before,

85

bmw's usually make good cars since the mid to late 90's... They last as long as they are treated right... the one thing you'll never know about a used car is how the previous driver drove it... Sure the dealer will say that it was a good responsible driver who changed the oil religiously, but you need to check it out, make sure it is certified, and do the old test drive. If you or anyone you trust drives and checks it out and thinks there is nothing wrong... just do what you are suppose to do. Change all the oils (engine, transmission, differential(s), etc when you get it... flush the radiator, grease the joints if neccessary, and then treat it as if it was a brand new car... change everything on schedule. good luck with your buy!

Thank you for your reply..Iv bought the car through family so I know its in good condition. Iv never owned one of these so Im quite curiouse to know how good these cars are...I usually research about the particular car that I choose to buy, but this car was an un-planned purchase...So far no probs, Iv had bad experiences with my last 2 cars so Im hoping that nothing major will happen with this car.

according to the posts on cargurus, this car holds up quite well http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1998-BMW-3-Series-Reviews-c22254

4,155

The 323i very nice car, and couldn't have had a better year. 97 was a good year for bmw their M3 car was named car of the year by car and driver. The 323i motor is like all the other bmw inline six cylinders very sturdy and willl last as long as you want. According to how you take care of it. I have a guys 325i 92 with 350,000 miles on it and it runs great no problems. Just remember to change your oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months. The problems this car had were basically electrical, window regulators, guage clusters nothing to major to worry about. Oh also watch out for that water pump they like ot fail in the e36 models. If you have any other questions you can email me on bavarianpower.com their plenty of answers for you there. Enjoy your first BMW!

125

BMWs are quite well done. I think, however, that your car is manufactured in Thailand. BMW has a manufacturing site there and most Asian BMWs are manufactured there. (I worked in Asia for a number of years and am still working for a supplier of car parts that also supplies to BMW. Plus: I own a 2005 318.) You can check whether your car is an import from Germany or a CKD (completely knocked down) car from Thailand. I heard that the Thai plant is quite well, too, but they still don't have the same level as in Germany. BMWs sold to Singapore and Japan usually are imported from Germany, as people there simply reject the Thai cars (just like Mercedes-Benz cars from India). Engine-wise, the car REALLY needs regular oil changes. BMWs can be quite delicate when it comes to oil. Check it regularly and don't use low quality oil. Also, you might want o check the belts in the engine. They need replacement after a certain time, especially in your climate, just like any other car. Depending on your driving style and the road conditions, also make sure that the shocks are okay. Otherwise, the car won't handle even closely like a BMW. In principle, your car was a good choice and DEFINITELY better than many others. You should have years of fun with it, if you treat it well. :)

you got all kinds of answers here the bottom line is a KIA can last 300k mile its all in how a car was maintained and kept clean - keep all the service records --